new to the field and HVAC world

I'm new to the field and have a lot of questions, i did take two classes hvac1 and 2 at my union hall but I'm not the book type of person you could say i have a learning disability, but when it comes to hands on, i will never forget.

I'm asking if by any chance some one would take me under their wing and help me be a great tech, so i could advance in my job and be able to attack all of the hvac problems

a lot of that theory seems as if its not worthwhile but then you finf you need it to
    solve some of the problems. start studying & when you find a job keep on studying.
    hands on is also needed but so is the book learning.

Nothing will better train you then hands on but also need to read some books

Thanks and ill do that with books and a little learning the hard way old shcool and a little help from techs if possible, ill skin the cat.

its called an apprenticeship do it if your already familiar with the union they all have them you ride with a tech 4 days a week and go to school for 1 get paid for all of it and learn a ton its local 597 in Chicago look them up give them a call they have a great training program im a 4th year with local 601 out of madison wi and couldnt be happier with the career i have

I have a full time job, local 399 operating engineer, for 12 fitness clubs, i did take hvac1 and 2 at the union hall and have a better understanding on how an HVAC system works, but when i look at the trane, carrier, york, control boxes controlling 2 to 4 zones with heat coils etc. it gets a little over whelming, i try to understand and I'm sure it will take some time but we all need a little help, i tride getting a part time job working on my days off, with a HVAC company went to 10 places and got turn down, told them im willing to work for free.

I have been in the field for a little under a year now and i still feel new lol. I am getting it good tho. I also go to a trade school for HVAC/R. I graduate in September, I started last august. I go 5 hours a night. If I had not been going to school while starting in the field the last heating season I would have been lost. I would say electrical is probably the hardest thing for me. I am still learning about electrical at school and I am almost done.

Quote Originally Posted by olds View Post
    I have a full time job, local 399 operating engineer, for 12 fitness clubs, i did take hvac1 and 2 at the union hall and have a better understanding on how an HVAC system works, but when i look at the trane, carrier, york, control boxes controlling 2 to 4 zones with heat coils etc. it gets a little over whelming, i try to understand and I'm sure it will take some time but we all need a little help, i tride getting a part time job working on my days off, with a HVAC company went to 10 places and got turn down, told them im willing to work for free.
    Just curious...........as a full time union operator, what did you do that you feel the need to punish yourself for and get into service? Should we be contacting the local authorities or a priest?

The way I see it is call job security, knowledge is power the more you know the better, and it also allows me to make more money, I look at it for the long run when I get older and they replace me with a younger person, I have more then one trade to fall back on and persuade on my own, know a day we can't depend on social security or 401k or any thing like that, we have to make our own.

Quote Originally Posted by olds View Post
    I'm new to the field and have a lot of questions, i did take two classes hvac1 and 2 at my union hall but I'm not the book type of person you could say i have a learning disability, but when it comes to hands on, i will never forget.

I'm asking if by any chance some one would take me under their wing and help me be a great tech, so i could advance in my job and be able to attack all of the hvac problems
    It sounds to me that you have it in the heart to be a true AC Service man. It is clear that you have joined the wrong union. If I were you I would quit the your current position as soon as you have spoken to the Steam Fitters Local recruiting agent and begin talking to the union service companies which he will recommend to you. This trade has no limits. You will do your apprenticeship and "turn out" in five years. You will be given the skills necessary to be a decent mechanic and eventually over time be a master in the trade.

As for compensation for your service you will be rewarded with a secure job, with the prevailing wage in your area along with a complete package of benefits, retirement which includes two pensions and a good working environment.

You will be exposed to a wide spectrum of air conditioning which is not limited in size. Access to other specialties such as control work, the heavy equipment side which is "hands off" to small companies.

Good luck