I need to cool approx 900 square feet of my downstairs. My problem is the fact that the in-slab ducts are worthless now and there's no attic space for any type of central unit. I'm stuck with window units or a ductless. Crap, these things are expensive. I really need to install two zones and found the cheapest way would be to get two one-ton units, rather than one dual zone 2 ton unit. I've done research on here and I see that Mr. Slim is a popular choice, but I can't believe the prices on these things. that is just insane. I've found a Unionaire 1 ton ductless at a good price. Is this a really really bad idea? Never heard of the brand before, but..not a bad price.

[Edited by jod78 on 08-23-2006 at 02:57 PM]

First no pricing discussions are allowed per site rules that you agreed to when you signed up. Second who is going to install this system that you bought off the internet. Are you EPA certified to handle refrigerants? Do you have any training in proper installation procedures? Do you own a vacuum pump and a set of gauges? If not then call a Pro to install this unit, not trying to be a jerk here but if you do this yourself the unit will likely never perform right and will probably not last long. What you thought was a great deal on a do it yourself a/c will end up costing you a lot more in the long run.

Sorry...I deleted the mention of pricing. No I will not install this myself. I can mount the indoor fan and other aspects of the installation, but I know an electrician who also does HVAC work that can complete the task. In one room I actually don't even have the option of a window unit so I might give this brand a shot in that room.

whats insane is someone like you that wants something for nothing, you will get an insane piece of crap, Mr slim is very reasonable & of good quality that will perform. this comes with a cost.
    The Captain.

Originally posted by jod78
    Sorry...I deleted the mention of pricing. No I will not install this myself. I can mount the indoor fan and other aspects of the installation, but I know an electrician who also does HVAC work that can complete the task. In one room I actually don't even have the option of a window unit so I might give this brand a shot in that room.
    Well is this electrician licensed by the EPA to handle refrigerants? Does he own a vacuum pump? So you are gonna do most of the install yourself and have a buddy of yours do the startup. Well I gave you my advice and that was to have it professionally installed, you will be back here after you get this thing in asking questions like why isn't it cooling right, or I can't believe that piece of sh** compressor in this thing died in less than a week. Good luck with your project, there is saying that I use, A cheapskate of a man pays the most.

This individual is a licensed HVAC professional, yes. I will take your advice on the Mr. Slim, thank you. I just began looking into this today. Just throwing around ideas and getting suggestions. I agree with you on your cheapskate statement.

Have local supply house pushing them. At real good price , promblem is no one wants to be the first to install one. They also have no info or cut sheets yet. Just price and 3 units in stock. looks ok?? by pic they have on display. Makes you want to go out and buy one doesn't it.