This will probably be hard to diagnose without seeing the problem but I though I would run it by you guys since the HVAC tech wasnt sure what to do. I have a lennox heat pump with the furnace in our garage. It is an upflow unit so the filter is at the bottom of the unit with the coils and drip pan just above. About a month ago when I went to change the filter I noticed some water was dripping onto the filter. It wasnt a whole lot but enough to cause a little mold growth on the filter. I called the hvac tech and he thought it was the condensation drain line sweating and dripping onto the filter. He came out and wrapped more insulation around the pipe. I mentioned to him I didnt think thats what it was but he isisted it would fix the problem. Well, I check the filter last night and sure enough there was more water on it. I noticed there is some wrapping underneath the drip pan and when I pulled the wrapping down just a little water came out. It looks like water is builidng up between the wrapping and the drip pan. I dont think it would be a leak since the unit is only 2 years old and the pan is plastic. Could the pan just be sweating underneath? Has anyone ever seen anything like this. I just want to know what I cant tell the hvac tech to help him diagnose the problem. Thanks for the help.

tn a/c man is offline Professional Member-T-bad email, rejected
    Have the tech come back out and check the froen level,sound like you possibly have a small leak causing coil to slightly freeze up.

You can also see if there is water running out of the condensate drain. The drains / pipes / p-traps get clogged from time to time and water then backs up and overflows out of the pan. You can use a shop vac on the end of the drain line to suction out the pipe. You can also blow in the pipe to see if it is restricted. If this is the first time you have had water dripping my first suspision would be a clogged drain line.

I think it could possibly be clogged drain line, no water trap in drain or low on freon icing coil up and overflowing drain pan also if coil is a slanted coil and is very dirty it wont let the water drain in pan right

I hope that is some useful info.
    Knowledge comes with experience

Thanks for the replies. I doubt its low on freon. The house is cooling well and no icing on the coils. Of course they were sweating a good bit but no icing. The tech is supposed to come out again either tomorrow or friday so I will keep you posted.

A dirty evaporator can also allow the water(condensate) droplets to run off before the bottom and into the pan.
    Do it right the 1st. time!