Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Don't kill yourself

Today I overheated myself for the second time in a week, fixing a unit on a camper rooftop in the sun. There have already been heat related deaths reported this summer....do not let this happen to you.

Its good advice.

I have a parasol ( umbrella ) that I keep on my truck if I know Im going to be in the sun for any length of time.

That and a cold rag around the back of the neck and a cooler filled with ice water.

Work smart.

And stay away from the idiot bosses that want to keep you in an attic all day with no breaks.

To whoever the guy is that puts schrader ports on both lines at the evap coils: THANK YOU!

Good advice ! I just started working in this field, this week. Everyday so far has been 100+ degrees! It felt hotter in the house today than it did outside, at least we were out of the direct sun.

Quote Originally Posted by ncboston View Post
    And stay away from the idiot bosses that want to keep you in an attic all day with no breaks.
    I guess, I am lucky, my boss comes around to the different work sites and hands out bottles of Gatorade if the temp is above 95 degrees.

I'm glad we're Im from it's all basement work, nice and cool.

I have been on top of a TPO roof all week removed 15 RTU and Re installed 15 RTU. I was Heat sick on Tuesday not Fun Dirty Migrain and vomit, stay Safe Family

A couple weeks ago i put myself in between the unit and the soffit in an attic. It was about 150 in there and after a half hour or so, my mind started to tell me "you're tired, you should take a nap.....RIGHT NOW" And i kinda said.."that sounds great" I snapped out of it and used my last bit of energy to get out of there.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

I keep a very close eye on my guys. The heat makes you stupid and clumsy. By the time you know your in bad shape, its usually too late. I stock them with mostly water with a few gatorades thrown in for "treats". Water is best. You should get your electrolytes the night before and push as much water down as you can, the night before.

104 today. Finished off a flue for a 96+ install this morning, ran five calls, and was helping one of the guys tote a furnace up to the second floor when my head started thumping. Thats my queue to stop and cool down.

Quote Originally Posted by ar_hvac_man
    You should get your electrolytes the night before and push as much water down as you can, the night before.
    I'm no doctor, but most of the stuff I've read says you should start electolyte replacement 1-2 hours before exercising, which in our case is when we are out in the heat. Here's one article on it. I went to a health food store and bought electolyte powder which I mix with water and drink prior to working or exercising in hot weather.

If you can get something without sugar then I would agree to push the electrolytes all day. Most of the drinks are packed with sugar though. It is hugely important to hydrate at night. Any athlete will tell you that.

Is the powder your buying sugar free and whats it called?

I remember when I was young and dumb on a 100 degree day I tried hydrating with mtn dew, that was not a good idea just made me feel worse. Learned from that mistake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast