I had an air handler replaced under a home warranty.
    I had a Bryant 4 ton air handler and condenser/heat pump(663cj048-b).
    The paperwork I found say's it was a 14 seer system. I don't have the number off of the air handler it was taken away before I realized I should have researched all of this.
    The air handler that was put in is a Goodman 4/5 ton (ARUF48601BA) unit. The installer said it is set on the low fan setting.
    It has run for about 5 days. It seems to run most of the time even at night when it cools down. It blows a lot more air thru the ducts than the Bryant air handler did. It will run for a long time shut off then turn right back on again within a couple of minutes. The old system never did that when it ran properly.
    The only other info I can provide is if you feel of the freon lines at the condenser the high pressure side feel warm and the low perssure side feels maybe a few degrees lower than the outside air temp and is dry. There seems to be a lot of water coming off of the A coil drain pan.
    I am afraid the unit is to big for my condenser, I could be way off on that thought because I know just enough about it to be dangerous.
    The guy that put it in wants to install a variable expansion valve and a hard start kit on the condenser.
    Before I go throwing good money after bad is there a chance that will help?

You need an ARI rated match and I can guarantee that a Goodman is not.

Good Luck with the home warranty company more than likely anything like that is non-covered it will all be out of pocket.

Try this website. you might have to paste
    http://www.ari.org/NR/rdonlyres/A674...rfectmatch.pdf
    this address will give you ARI recommendation
    I doubt this is a match.

[Edited by iheatncoolinnc on 08-23-2006 at 10:00 AM]

Start insisting they replace the air handler with something equivalent to what was there. It is possible it was installed with a V/S air handler.

How old is the condenser and when was it installed?

Thanks for the info so far.
    The house was built in late 1999/ early 2000. I could not see a manufacture date on the condenser.
    I don't know if the old air handler was vs, if I had to guess I would say it wasn't.
    I did find the old installation manual in the attic it was either a fa4,fb4,fc4 or fh4 bryant it was printed 2/99.

has the other air handler been disposed of. Can you get the exact model number from the company that put the new one in?