Should Flex Duct Damage Be A Concern?
    6" insulated flex duct in my crawlspace was somewhat damaged on either end by a guy doing some floor leveling.

1) On one end his halogen light got too close and melted a hole in just the outer black plastic that surrounds the insulation. Insulation seems intact there.

2) The other, more concerning, thing is that his new beam was put right where the duct turns upward into the floor outlet. The beam is actually pushing the duct over enough to have restricted the 6" diameter into the boot by maybe 1/3. When I look down into the duct with the register off, I don't see a nice gradual turn anymore, but the duct that is pushed over. I can actually feel the corner of the beam jutting into the duct if I put my hand into the duct from the room.

The beam also tore some of the black plastic from the duct.

Are the above issues things that should concern me? Well, let me restate. I AM concerned that someone would be that careless. But why the new beam MUST go nearly on top of an existing duct is beyond me.

Is it something that will in any way be detrimental to the performance of the duct? What does the outer plastic on the flex duct actually do? I can get to the first area that was melted to repair that if needed, but can't even get my hand around the other area since the new beam is shoved into it.

Please help! I haven't yet paid the man for the new beam and need to know if repairs are in order before I pay him.

Thanks for any help.

By all means it should be fixed before you pay!! But don't have him do it, call an HVAC contractor to do it then have him pay the bill.

What specifically could the damage mean to the performance of the duct? If I could have something concrete to tell the guy when he says, "Oh, that's not a problem. It won't hurt anything." it would hold a lot more weight.

Aside from the restriction on the duct, is the damaged black outer plastic critical? And in what way?

Also - the new beam is in such a place that even an HVAC contractor couldn't get to it without having the beam moved - something I'm open to if needed.

Originally posted by cakins
    What specifically could the damage mean to the performance of the duct? If I could have something concrete to tell the guy when he says, "Oh, that's not a problem. It won't hurt anything." it would hold a lot more weight.

Aside from the restriction on the duct, is the damaged black outer plastic critical? And in what way?

Also - the new beam is in such a place that even an HVAC contractor couldn't get to it without having the beam moved - something I'm open to if needed.

It does not require a PHD. to figure what might happen if the pipe is crunched by a third. That is a substanual blockage on a six inch pipe.... The plastic is a vapor barrier and it holds the insulation in place. Once the insulation becomes wet, it can mold and mildew. If the beam is in a critical location, the register may have to be rebooted to gain acess. Most contracters will laugh at you if you suggest them to move the beam for the sake of a register! If you are paying for a job then it should be done right. A HVAC contractor needs to make the repair.
    IcyFlame

if he had placed the beam & dented & punchered the top of your car would you be concerned? -- such probably would not stop you from using it to go to the store & come back --
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Originally posted by icyflame

Most contracters will laugh at you if you suggest them to move the beam for the sake of a register! If you are paying for a job then it should be done right. A HVAC contractor needs to make the repair.
    Let him laugh. Mind you, this is a floor leveling beam just added to my 56-year-old house. The register placement is in hardwood flooring and can't be moved without an obvious patch job to the finished floor. This contractor told me he could place the beam at an angle if needed in order to get around obstructions like the mechanicals of the house. Funny that he didn't. I just discovered it last night as the job was just done 2 days ago. I haven't even contacted him yet, so I don't know what his reaction will be. But we'll see.

The very least he should have done is let me know what he was doing - not just do it and hope I wouldn't notice.

It's good to know exactly what the damage can mean, though.