Thread: r-22a

r-22a

what do u guys think about r-22a as a drop in replacement for r-22
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by trai View Post
    what do u guys think about r-22a as a drop in replacement for r-22
    ?
    Extremely flammable and illegal.

I think it's dangerous, although there's lots of people out there with propane grills, cigarettes, etc etc., you be the judge I guess. Anyone can get it and you know they'll be trying to top off systems of R22 instead of a full replacement, which is illegal, costly, and dangerous.

I like the pine scent though.

I would like to personally see what happens when I system running it has a compressor short to ground or windings burn. Since there is no oxygen, would it be explosive? I think leaks would be the danger and as we all know "all systems leak" haha!

Quote Originally Posted by matt1124 View Post
    I would like to personally see what happens when I system running it has a compressor short to ground or windings burn. Since there is no oxygen, would it be explosive? I think leaks would be the danger and as we all know "all systems leak" haha!
    Nothing will happen unless there is an oxidizer present. I work on some chillers connected to co-gen plants that use natural gas pumped up to 95psi. with Copeland scroll compressors.

Pretty neat, the gas turbines run at around 95,000 rpm and the shafts ride on and air/gas pressure. I don't know enough about them other than those little tidbits.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Quote Originally Posted by matt1124 View Post
    I think it's dangerous, although there's lots of people out there with propane grills, cigarettes, etc etc., you be the judge I guess. Anyone can get it and you know they'll be trying to top off systems of R22 instead of a full replacement, which is illegal, costly, and dangerous.

I like the pine scent though.

What if line rubs through and fills the closet where the furnace is located with full charge?

While we have natural gas pipe indoors, those are 1/4 psi. not 250 psi.