Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: r-22a

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ms
    Posts
    114

    r-22a

    what do u guys think about r-22a as a drop in replacement for r-22
    ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,692
    Quote Originally Posted by trai View Post
    what do u guys think about r-22a as a drop in replacement for r-22
    ?
    Extremely flammable and illegal.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    362
    I think it's dangerous, although there's lots of people out there with propane grills, cigarettes, etc etc., you be the judge I guess. Anyone can get it and you know they'll be trying to top off systems of R22 instead of a full replacement, which is illegal, costly, and dangerous.

    I like the pine scent though.

    I would like to personally see what happens when I system running it has a compressor short to ground or windings burn. Since there is no oxygen, would it be explosive? I think leaks would be the danger and as we all know "all systems leak" haha!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Orange County N.Y.
    Posts
    1,176
    Quote Originally Posted by matt1124 View Post
    I would like to personally see what happens when I system running it has a compressor short to ground or windings burn. Since there is no oxygen, would it be explosive? I think leaks would be the danger and as we all know "all systems leak" haha!
    Nothing will happen unless there is an oxidizer present. I work on some chillers connected to co-gen plants that use natural gas pumped up to 95psi. with Copeland scroll compressors.

    Pretty neat, the gas turbines run at around 95,000 rpm and the shafts ride on and air/gas pressure. I don't know enough about them other than those little tidbits.

    ...Ron
    Roof Rat

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,692
    Quote Originally Posted by matt1124 View Post
    I think it's dangerous, although there's lots of people out there with propane grills, cigarettes, etc etc., you be the judge I guess. Anyone can get it and you know they'll be trying to top off systems of R22 instead of a full replacement, which is illegal, costly, and dangerous.

    I like the pine scent though.

    I would like to personally see what happens when I system running it has a compressor short to ground or windings burn. Since there is no oxygen, would it be explosive? I think leaks would be the danger and as we all know "all systems leak" haha!

    What if line rubs through and fills the closet where the furnace is located with full charge?

    While we have natural gas pipe indoors, those are 1/4 psi. not 250 psi.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event