Thread: Is it okay to put Lennox evaporator coil in Carrier A/C

Post Likes

Is it okay to put Lennox evaporator coil in Carrier A/C

I tried to do my homeowork and researched the various brands out there and tried to figure out which dealer would do the best install, but the more I researched the more confused I got. I did end up purchasing a Carrier furnace and A/C, I don't know if I made the right choice of not, but its a done deal now. My question is actually about the evaporator coils. I was under the impression that the evaporator coils were supposed to match the A/C and not be a third party coil. When I asked the dealer for the model number of the coils, he stated that Carrier didn't make their own and that a company called ADP made coils for the various brands and said that he would be installing a Lennox coil. I took him at his word and signed the contract and only after the fact did I think to contact Carrier directly and ask them if they had their own coils and a reponse for Carrier indicated that they did. I did contact the dealer and questioned him and he back tracked and said that they have had numerous problems with leaks in Carriers in the past and now reccomend Lennox as they consider it a better coil. They said that they would be willing to swap the Lennox for a Carrier if we insisted but still stood by the Lennox. Since my installation is scheduled for tomorrow and they needed an answer by 4:00, as the order had to placed, and it was already 3:30, I really felt painted into a corner and told them to go ahead and install the Lennox. I obviously don't know if he is telling the truth or not or for that matter, if he's pushing the Lennox because it is less expensive for them to purchase. So since I can't do anything about it now, could someone please tell me if its okay for a Lennox evaporator coil to be installed in my system and would it have been better to go with a Carrier. It won't change anything, but I would certainly feel better knowing. The model of the Furnace is Performance 96 59TP5A060 and the A/C is Comfort 16 24ABC624A003. If a Lennox coil is used, would anyone know what model number would be compatible with my system.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Post Likes
    Probably won't get the SEER rating. But it will work. Carrier has tin plated coils now that aren't effected by VOCs like cooper tubed coils are.

Post Likes
    Thanks. What seer could I expect to get and when you speak of voc your referrng to emmissions I assume and if upon initial start up or each time? The model number of the c ADP coil being installed is PE33936D175B 18018AP. Should I have insisted on a matching Carrier? Is it common practise in the industry to use third party coils or are they generally rmatched. Thanks

Post Likes
    coils can be

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, questions, or commentary in other peoples threads here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Last edited by beenthere; 07-25-2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Message

Post Likes
    The book answer is get a matched system. A system that is AHRI tested and approved.

The only question that may come up would be if there was a problem with a compressor warranty and they ( Carrier) ask for coil info they may say

You used WHAT as an evaporator coil.

The in the field answer is

Hell Yeah, it will usually work.

Hopefully proper procedures are followed like nitrogen flowing while brazing, triple evacuation, evacuation to 500 microns and holding for proper timeframe, liquid line fllter drier in the lineset preferably at the evaporator (My location of choice)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by silkzipp View Post
    Thanks. What seer could I expect to get and when you speak of voc your referrng to emmissions I assume and if upon initial start up or each time? The model number of the c ADP coil being installed is PE33936D175B 18018AP. Should I have insisted on a matching Carrier? Is it common practise in the industry to use third party coils or are they generally rmatched. Thanks
    What ever SEER ADP claims, minus a bit, as they only do a computer simulation to get a SEER rating.

Many companies do use third party instead of the OEM's coils.

I would have wanted the tin plated coil.

Post Likes
    I only use matched equipment from Carrier/Bryant. The new carrier coils are aluminum.....like the one I put in early this week.
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in