Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 53 to 65 of 135

Thread: Made in the USA

  1. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    But it was SO MUCH MORE than rocks wasn't it ? Let's look at what America's exploration of space has brought the entire world in terms of technology. Over 1600 spin offs in various applications not too mention what hasn't been released to the general public.

    Point being it's something we can be proud of and at the time no private business had the money to pull something like that off.

    Looking at the results NASAs repeatedly gotten over the decades it's something I don't mind spending tax dollars on.
    Let's face it, the U.S. government spent a lot of money for very little return on investment in any way with the space program.

    Yea, it's nice to see all of the neat technology that came from our space missions, but it really was not something that government should have been spending our money on. If space exploration has any real value, some private enterprise will take on the task and do it better for less expense and more ROI.

    Most major developements prior to the 20th Century influx of Communist/Socialist idealism were conducted by private enterprise. Although we wouldn't think so from Obama's criticisms of American business building, the initial infrastructure of the U.S. was put into place by private enterprises increasing our infrastructure in order to increase their commerce. The railroads were the most influential in this. The same thing has occurred throughout history. The reason for Europe, Asia and Africa's being linked together was completely due to the developement and expansion of trade routes.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  2. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Paper Street Soap Company
    Posts
    2,304
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Let's face it, the U.S. government spent a lot of money for very little return on investment in any way with the space program.

    Yea, it's nice to see all of the neat technology that came from our space missions, but it really was not something that government should have been spending our money on. If space exploration has any real value, some private enterprise will take on the task and do it better for less expense and more ROI.

    Most major developements prior to the 20th Century influx of Communist/Socialist idealism were conducted by private enterprise. Although we wouldn't think so from Obama's criticisms of American business building, the initial infrastructure of the U.S. was put into place by private enterprises increasing our infrastructure in order to increase their commerce. The railroads were the most influential in this. The same thing has occurred throughout history. The reason for Europe, Asia and Africa's being linked together was completely due to the developement and expansion of trade routes.
    I disagree completely.

    Not every ROI venture has a immediate payoff Robo. What the space race did for America was to continually push the boundaries of existing technology. Technology that we all use and some take for granted.

    It's in our nature to strive for a better understanding of our universe and to strive to achieve the highest possible level of personal perfection.

    It would be difficult to maintain a superpower status with China and Russia parking Geo-Synchronous satellites over our heads because there was no immediate payoff on rocket technology that could get us out of Earths orbit.

    Plus if we didn't use that technology to launch spy satellites who would defend Canada ?

    Point is the private sector is benefiting from NASA's exploration both directly and indirectly in countless ways. Everything from electronics to health and medicine.

    The bonus is now we understand much more of our universe and of our origins and like it or not sooner or later we will have to vacate this rock called Earth.

  3. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Paper Street Soap Company
    Posts
    2,304
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Actually in 1962 Canada was the third country in the world with a space craft in orbit and ten years later was the first country in the world to have its own geostationary communication satellite network. Nine years later on the second flight of the US Space Shuttle Columbia.the Canadarm was used. It's big brother, Canadarm2 (or the not so sexy name Space Station Remote Manipulator System) was used to build the space station and to capture and dock incoming spacecraft.

    We were big in the communication and satellite sensing, I have not kept up with what we are doing now, I did play a minor part for our SCISAT satellite launched in 2003 that measured the depletion of the ozone in the Arctic (OK it was just a test jig).

    RADARSAT-1 used for commercial and scientific users in such fields as disaster management, interferometry, agriculture, cartography, hydrology, forestry, oceanography, ice studies and coastal monitoring. It can sweep between 45 to 500 kilometres, with a range of 8 to 100 metres in resolution.



    http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/...sat990218.html

    Well we launched it anyway.



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radarsat-2

    Basically we can see anything in the world through clouds down to two meters. Smile and wave to the camera.

    Well at least you have that......

    All we have is "rocks"

  4. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    I disagree completely.

    Not every ROI venture has a immediate payoff Robo. What the space race did for America was to continually push the boundaries of existing technology. Technology that we all use and some take for granted.

    It's in our nature to strive for a better understanding of our universe and to strive to achieve the highest possible level of personal perfection.

    It would be difficult to maintain a superpower status with China and Russia parking Geo-Synchronous satellites over our heads because there was no immediate payoff on rocket technology that could get us out of Earths orbit.

    Plus if we didn't use that technology to launch spy satellites who would defend Canada ?

    Point is the private sector is benefiting from NASA's exploration both directly and indirectly in countless ways. Everything from electronics to health and medicine.

    The bonus is now we understand much more of our universe and of our origins and like it or not sooner or later we will have to vacate this rock called Earth.
    OK. Good arguments to think about.

    According to our resident anti-American Canadian though, even though Canada did not have a space agency, they were the first to put spy satellites into use to keep an eye on us. Kinda creepy if you think about it.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  5. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    Well at least you have that......

    All we have is "rocks"
    Do you think we will ever be able to tell them about the "other" things we got from the moon?

    I think one of the best TV commercials was the one that mentioned how mankind believed for so long that the moon was made of cheese and how after making it to the moon in the early 1970's and finding out it was made out of rock, we haven't been back since. The commercial ends with the words; "The power of cheese".
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  6. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    I disagree completely.

    Not every ROI venture has a immediate payoff Robo. What the space race did for America was to continually push the boundaries of existing technology. Technology that we all use and some take for granted.

    It's in our nature to strive for a better understanding of our universe and to strive to achieve the highest possible level of personal perfection.

    It would be difficult to maintain a superpower status with China and Russia parking Geo-Synchronous satellites over our heads because there was no immediate payoff on rocket technology that could get us out of Earths orbit.
    Getting into space and going to the moon are two different things. As with wars in the past where balloons were used for intelligence in a battle eyes in the sky is a useful thing. Getting to the moon, well that is just bragging rights. Could send machines up cheaper but they lack the emotional impact of footsteps in the dust.

    Plus if we didn't use that technology to launch spy satellites who would defend Canada ?
    Defend us? We are just a buffer zone, who is fooling who how expendable we were?

    Point is the private sector is benefiting from NASA's exploration both directly and indirectly in countless ways. Everything from electronics to health and medicine.

    The bonus is now we understand much more of our universe and of our origins and like it or not sooner or later we will have to vacate this rock called Earth.
    Electronics, the space program never used cutting edge electronics, the parts were just not robust enough. One thing we did learn, it is a nasty harsh environment out there. Also the environmental movement grew out of the astronauts looking back down at the Earth.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

  7. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Etters PA.
    Posts
    517
    I like your Dectron unit.

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

  8. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    21,713
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    I can see how you would think that since there are so many websites, news programs, and politicians who are all about telling half truths saying this....but the problem is that our corporate tax rate ranges from 0% to 39%....not just 39%

    These websites that you are looking at are only giving us the rating we have because they are only looking at the last number....if you take a corporate tax rate from anywhere below 39% you would find that our national ranking would drop significantly....especially if you ranked off of an average number of businesses taxed at 39% VS. another country which is taxed at a lower rate but everyone pays...not like us where many companies pay 0%.
    Regardless of what spin is put on it... tax paid comes out of the sale price of a product... no way around this. And if there is more tax to be paid in the USA... well the product costs more to make in the USA.

    The Reagan revolution proved beyond any doubt: If the govt and taxation are taken away... the economy grows leaps and bounds.

    So we need to ask ourselves a question: Do we want the economy to grow... or do we want a corrupt govt keeping us unemployed and poor and broke and hungry?

    BTW: The choice will be made in November, and we will have to live with it for min 2 years... probably mostly 4 more years. Make your choice wisely!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  9. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Regardless of what spin is put on it... tax paid comes out of the sale price of a product... no way around this. And if there is more tax to be paid in the USA... well the product costs more to make in the USA.

    The Reagan revolution proved beyond any doubt: If the govt and taxation are taken away... the economy grows leaps and bounds.

    So we need to ask ourselves a question: Do we want the economy to grow... or do we want a corrupt govt keeping us unemployed and poor and broke and hungry?

    BTW: The choice will be made in November, and we will have to live with it for min 2 years... probably mostly 4 more years. Make your choice wisely!
    Cutting taxes is easy but on the same page you have to get your expenditures down. No sense in the government going further in the red with the companies doing well and the politicians taking the flack. Reducing government spending will depress the economy until the businesses pick up the slack. And in that time you are going to have a lot of unhappy people with no source of income. It would be a tough pill to swallow when unemployment is considered high already. I would think up to a 5% cut in government expenditures a year would be the most you could manage without too many people shooting up the place.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

  10. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,974
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Cutting taxes is easy but on the same page you have to get your expenditures down. No sense in the government going further in the red with the companies doing well and the politicians taking the flack. Reducing government spending will depress the economy until the businesses pick up the slack. And in that time you are going to have a lot of unhappy people with no source of income. It would be a tough pill to swallow when unemployment is considered high already. I would think up to a 5% cut in government expenditures a year would be the most you could manage without too many people shooting up the place.
    Government needs to be operated as a business is operated. No government should ever go into the red unless it was for a state of emergency, such as war or natural disaster, at which time government would need to responsibly increase tax revenue only for as long as it takes to pay off excess expenditures due to the emergency needs to spend.

    But that's not what government does. Government continues to collect additional revenue after an unexpected expediture by creating other "needs" for that money. Then when another unexpected expenditure comes up, government needs to again increase tax revenue to pay for that emergency which government the creates more "need" to continue collecting that revenue....and the cycle of increasing government goes on and on until the amount of revenue able to be collected cannot meet the amount of expenditure by a now bloated government. At this point, government borrows to pay for expenditures.

    These are the reasons we keep getting more and more perceived "emergencies" and "scary situations" from government. This is why environmental scary stories are being perpetuated by government agencies. Government needs to keep us in a perpetual state of fear in order to justify continuing to take our money through taxation or to borrow money.

    We the people need to stop the madness that is overbloated, too powerful government or our countries will simply go broke and eventually our governments will collapse, leaving we the people subject to governmental take over either by coup or by attack from foreign factions.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  11. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,609
    If we want to be truly Completive on a Worldwide basis, we need to have no taxes on goods that are exported, this includes fuel taxes to get it to the destination if it is shipped on a USA flagged carrier. Goods that are imported need to have a manufacturing and a fuel tax placed on them before they are off loaded. This will put US Manufactres on the same level with imported goods tax wise. The US Manufactures would still be taxed on domestic destined goods, as there is no reason for individual tax payers to subsides all the infastructure the manufactures use.

  12. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,609
    Since this got a little off topic; a couple of other things made in the USA. A third of the New Balance shoes, Smartwool socks. We also have luggage stand that is made in the USA. Hardwood Artisans furniture is made in Virginia. It's so well built it could be passed on to the grandkids, when they're adults.

  13. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,974
    Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    If we want to be truly Completive on a Worldwide basis, we need to have no taxes on goods that are exported, this includes fuel taxes to get it to the destination if it is shipped on a USA flagged carrier. Goods that are imported need to have a manufacturing and a fuel tax placed on them before they are off loaded. This will put US Manufactres on the same level with imported goods tax wise. The US Manufactures would still be taxed on domestic destined goods, as there is no reason for individual tax payers to subsides all the infastructure the manufactures use.
    You have no clue as to what you are posting about.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event