11 y/o Carrier....time to go?

I've got an 11 y/o 14 seer Carrier that has had issues pretty much yearly. It's got a zoned Comfort Zone II system with it. I replaced the compressor 14 months ago. It's going again. This time my service provider says it's due to the thermostat calling for too much coolant and it going back into the compressor damaging the valves. They say it needs a new thermostat (I replaced that 6 years back at $) and the zoning needs repair and the compressor will need replacement again. It would be close to $ to fix all this. Is it time to cut bait on this system and start with something new? I have some questions about Carrier's warranty because everything but the zone panel is under 10 years old. The service guy said it's only a year on the compressor, but I'm not sure about that.

Any thoughts here? Should I eat another service call from another co for a 2nd opinion?

Sorry for the long post.
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-25-2012 at 05:43 AM. Reason: prices

yep...... the thermostat does not call for to much coolant.... its time to get a new contractor....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

I would get a second opinion. Could save you thousands!
    "I've got my Gas Mechanics license"
    "Yea, well my 16yr old daughter has her drivers license, doesn't mean she knows how to drive"

Thank you sir. Something just seemed off about their diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by btr740 View Post
    Thank you sir. Something just seemed off about their diagnosis.
    I would be willing to bet the issues are not with the equipment but the zoning.

If your statement is a quote from the dealer I would run quickly, and search for a company that truly knows how to design a zoning system. Most will tell you there is nothing to it, if so keep looking and ask a lot of questions. Post you location and look at the dealer locator map on this site.

Yep, get other opinions. The thermostat is not causing the problem. But as above, your zoning system could be, specially if the duct system is under sized.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks again. I'm in Apopka, FL, which is right outside Orlando. I'll take a look at the map.