My new central air has just been installed: Trane XL14i with a variable air handler. Air handler is in the attic with supplies running to each upstairs room and 3 drops to the downstairs. (new replacement furnace is in the basement).
    The install appears to be neat and orderly. Unit seems to run well but its been cool here in New England so its really untested as of yet.
    Question: I checked the ducts in the attic while the unit was blowing cold air. Flexible ducts and returns are all wrapped in insulation. Some of the insullation has been gently pierced. At many of these points, I can feel a bit of cool air running out. Just a bit more than a trickle. Is this a problem?
    Could the right insulation tape solve this?
    Even if the insulation appears to be pierced at the surface, should any air be coming out (even a trickle) if the ducts are sealed well?

I'll try to add pictures in the next day or so.

THANKS

sounds like they were checking static pressure. no big deal just add some duct tape and everything will be ok.

Sounds like pretty sloppy work to me. You can get the ducts tested for leaks. You might find a local contractor with a Duct Blaster on this site: http://www.energyconservatory.com/.

You have to tape the liner first or the air can leak between the liner and outer jacket.

You should not feel any air coming out,unless the duct is peirced trough the flex witch is under the instulation.Alot of times when the instulation is done,it is not taped very good at the base of the trunk line. "big duct" This causes air to travel thru the instulation and out of the peirced place in the duct.If this is the case, you should have the company return to repair,if its a small hole you can pull the instulation back at the flex tape flex with duct tape recover with insulation and tape with foil tape.

Originally posted by Panama
    Sounds like pretty sloppy work to me. You can get the ducts tested for leaks. You might find a local contractor with a Duct Blaster on this site: http://www.energyconservatory.com/.
    That was out of line, nobody can call this sloppy work, Even the best installer in the world will have small air leaks. It is no big deal. Although if you are concerned ask the installing contractor to come take a look and maybe tape it up for you.

Yeah I know I would'nt want someone to say that my work is sloppy when what actually happened was the insulators or electrictions or plumbers were in the attic and seeing if that flex stuff would hold up to their case xx pocket knife stabbing.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Air is leaking thru the punctured outer vapor barrier,so the inner liner of the flex is either punstured as well,or joints weren't sealed.

http://www.aeroseal.com

,if it's available in your area,is a great way to seal ducts.