New House A/C Question
    Hey guys,
    My parents bought a new house and wanted to get some info from you guys on their a/c system.

It came with a Carrier split system. The outdoor piece doesnt look anything like the comfort,performance, or infinity models on the website. I'm guessing it's some builders version.

Here is the model # off it 38BY6060

The air handler (it appears to be a comfort model variable speed from what i can gather from the carrier website) is FK4DNB006

Can you tell me the size of the units.
    The equipment is connected to a honeywell digital thermostat. If this unit is indeed variable speed (I think it is because when it starts the air volume seems really low and the unit quiet then a few minutes later it speeds up), should we swap out the honeywell thermostate for a thermidistat? Thats what i have on my carrier 50xp infinity unit at my townhouse.

Thanks,

Ed

You can swap it out for a Thermidistat. However, you most likely only have a 5 wire thermostat wire and to take advantage of all of the Thermidistat features, you will either need to run another thermostat wire or replace your current one. I think you need about 9-10 wires total. I ran into this problem on my house when I replaced my system.

yes i am very familiar with the wiring necessary for thermidistate. My 28 yr old townhouse needed new wiring to accomodate it. it wasnt easy, the existing conduit had the highvoltage wiring in it as well (no longer up to code) and the conduit had a bend in it.

luckily here the thermostate and air handler are right next to each other so it would be easy.

anyway do you have info on the condenser and air handler?
    is it indeed a variable speed a/h and what seer / capacity is this equipment?

Yes, the FK4DN006 is a 5-ton variable speed R-22 air handler w/ TXV. I think there is a typo in your condensing unit model #. The closet I can find in the Carrier catalog is a 38BYG060, which is a 12 SEER 5-ton, R-22 heat pump, which they don't make anymore. It's a decent system, most likely a "builder upgrade".

florida,
    thanks for the additional info (the house is in Vero Beach, FL). As for the condenser yea its 38byG060.
    So it's a heat pump? how is that different from a standard airconditioner?

anyway.. would you guys recommend we replace the honeywell thermostat with the thermidistate from carrier so we can take advantage of the variable speed air handler? I assume it would operate like my carrier at my place where it starts running in the very slow fan speed if i set it to cool to dehumidify etc?

this house was built last year. so they put in an outdated a/c system?

thanks,
    ed

"heat pumps" -- in the pure sense = air conditioners, refrigerators, freezers, & heat/air units for buildings

name as used commonly in the HVAC industry refers to a unit which provides hot or cold air as changed to offset the outside temp

[high voltage to me is above 69kV! -- to a circuit board designer = >6V]
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

They only stopped making the 38BYG series last year. And yes, I would put the Carrier Thermidistat in to take advantage of the variable speed air handler (that is if you can run the extra t-stat wire easily enough).

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Often the extra wires are there ,on new homes,so they ould use either stat.Builder or HVAC guy just went cheap.

Have a Pro that knows "how to" set up a Thermidistat ,do it right.There are dip switches to be set and around 19 steps to properly configure the Thermidistat,we find they seldom get set up correctly ,the first time.

thanks for the info.

it looks like it has two "brown" separate wires running to the honeywell thermostat(i cant find that model on the honeywell website either) so i wonder if it already has enough wires. either case adding wire shouldnt be a problem the thermostat is right next to the airhandler/closet

i do have another question, this thermostat doesnt have any humidity control but the unit seems to run at two speeds it starts for a few minutes very quiet (you can fell the air blowing) then it kicks up / you can hear the air handler is louder and feel more air out of the vents.

is this some standard setup?

ive been pretty happy with the carrier with thermidistat at my house so i will see about getting the same for my parents new place.

ed

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Yes ,it lets the refrigeration cycle get started before moving a lot of air,and it reduces fan noise.

Yes, Dash, you are right about Carrier Thermidistat being set up correctly. There are a lot of settings to consider. I remember when I was still getting quotes on my Carrier 38YZA heat pump and FV4A fancoil with Thermidistat one of the Carrier dealers is my area tryed to talk me out of the Thermidistat. He said that they had installed one before and had all kind of problems with it controlling the system. The other contractor had no problem selling me one and has turned out to be a blessing with the VS blower and the superior dehumidification I get with it.

Thorton