Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Being told I can't replace an American Standard Thermostat

An HVAC company is telling me that installing a replacement American Standard 800 Family 7-day Digital Programmable Comfort thermostat is something only they can do and that it is unlike replacing a hardware store bought 7-day programmable. They claim the American Standard 7-day thermostat is quite different from similar store bought devices and requires extensive programming and are quoting me labor, truck fee, fuel surcharge for the job even though the device is under full warranty.

Are they correct in stating that this is not something that a homeowner can do himself as with hardware store-bought thermostats?
    Last edited by killwhat; 07-24-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: removed price.

First,

please remove pricing from your post. Pricing or the discussion thereof is not allowed. If it's under warranty, why don't you have them do it?
    GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!

A DECADE OF DOMINANCE! +2

The thermostat is under warranty (they registered the warranties for the AC unit and thermostat after the installation), but the labor, truck fee, and fuel surcharge is not covered.

It seems like swapping out an identical thermostat is a basic task. They claim it is not and that I can't just do this myself given the chance.

For someone that has some mechanical and electrical aptitude.

If not and you try to do it yourself you will be calling a company out after you trip the control fuse or short out a transformer.

Also their is a installers sub menu in that thermostat that needs to be set correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by killwhat View Post
    An HVAC company is telling me that installing a replacement American Standard 800 Family 7-day Digital Programmable Comfort thermostat is something only they can do and that it is unlike replacing a hardware store bought 7-day programmable. They claim the American Standard 7-day thermostat is quite different from similar store bought devices and requires extensive programming and are quoting me over $$$ for the job even though the device is under full warranty.

Are they correct in stating that this is not something that a homeowner can do himself as with hardware store-bought thermostats?
    They would be wrong. The 800 is one of the simplest T stats to set up.

What is the problem with yours? When did you have the system installed and what was the equipment?
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 07-24-2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Pricing in quote

I beleive they use pin bases on those thermostats, so there may not be any wiring involved, but you will need ot program it.

Whether or not you can find a installation guide and follow how ot access the system configuration setting depends on how skilled you are with electronics. However, if you set it up incorrectly, it could damage yoru equipment.

I know when I have a Honeywell Visionpro IAQ installed a few years ago, before I got so invovled in the HVAC industry, I programmed it myself because I found out the technicians for the installaing company I used were clueless.

But what's easy for one person can be challenging for another.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    I beleive they use pin bases on those thermostats, so there may not be any wiring involved, but you will need ot program it.

Whether or not you can find a installation guide and follow how ot access the system configuration setting depends on how skilled you are with electronics. However, if you set it up incorrectly, it could damage yoru equipment.

I know when I have a Honeywell Visionpro IAQ installed a few years ago, before I got so invovled in the HVAC industry, I programmed it myself because I found out the technicians for the installaing company I used were clueless.

But what's easy for one person can be challenging for another.
    Clueless, you think? That is probably what is wrong now they did it as plug and play.

Jeez...all these comments

Sounds like the labor warranty is up and the parts warranty is not. When the labor warranty is up...yes it's a billable call.

Here is the additional costs involved:

1. They have to deal with trane and get the part warrantied. Fill out all these forms...etc....etc...
    2. They have to go there and pick it up at $3.50 a gallon or pay shipping to get the stat (trane won't cover this).
    It's not the Brand with the fewest repairs-It's all in the install!!! Attention to detail and using the best materials!

Honeywell vision pro 8000 is the same thermostsat

Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    Jeez...all these comments

Sounds like the labor warranty is up and the parts warranty is not. When the labor warranty is up...yes it's a billable call.

Here is the additional costs involved:

1. They have to deal with trane and get the part warrantied. Fill out all these forms...etc....etc...
    2. They have to go there and pick it up at $3.50 a gallon or pay shipping to get the stat (trane won't cover this).
    What if they purchased a 10 year parts and labor?

An American Standard or Trane dealer should have this T stat in stock on a service truck or at the very least the shop.

The warranty paper work would take less than 5 minutes and is usually handled by the dealers TM.

The Trane DSO or IWD would have the Tstat in stock and there would not be a shipping charge.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    What if they purchased a 10 year parts and labor?

What if they didn't..........Then he wouldn't be here as the whole repair parts and labor would be warranty

An American Standard or Trane dealer should have this T stat in stock on a service truck or at the very least the shop.

The warranty paper work would take less than 5 minutes and is usually handled by the dealers TM.

The Trane DSO or IWD would have the Tstat in stock and there would not be a shipping charge.
    I am a carrier dealer and don't stock all the thermostats they sell.
    It's not the Brand with the fewest repairs-It's all in the install!!! Attention to detail and using the best materials!

Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    I am a carrier dealer and don't stock all the thermostats they sell.
    I work for a Carrier dealer and would not want to stock or install the thermostats they sell.

I like Honeywell better.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

you'll let the magic smoke out if you don't know what you are looking at, that wall mount sub-base is supposed to be replaced also.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast