Jace numeric input

I want to use a Jace with an expansion module to open a valve for a set period determined by some sort of numeric input from a keypad device or a touch screen. Has anyone done this before without using one of the communication protocols? I only need to compare the time that the valve is open to the time set at the input. The logic for this is fairly simple but I am not sure what if anything I can use to inout the numeric (time) value to one of the universal inputs on the expansion module.

I am aware that I can use a Auto-Matrix touch screen or a Distech EC-Display to accomplish this but I am trying to avoid having to purchase the drivers etc. to make this happen.

I chose the Jace to do this because I also have to send e-mail notifications and dry contact alarm outputs based on the operation.

Any ideas?
    "Controls is a lifestyle not a job" -klrogers

Any touchscreen will require some sort of a driver. (I've used the reveal LCD touchscreen from Honeywell). The poor man's solution would be to use a twist timer as your "numeric" input.

how do you want to reset the keypad once the time has passed?

why not just use a windup timer and read on/off contact?

Check out Red Loin

http://www.redlion.net/Products/Digi...og/Timers.html

I'm sure they have something you could use, just not sure which one.

Kevin
    "Profit is not the legitimate purpose of business. The legitimate purpose of business is to provide a product or service that people need and do it so well that it's profitable."

James Rouse

If your looking for a display that you can have the operator use to set a point this is the only JACE direct display I know of on the market.

http://resources.lynxspring.com/Down...JENE-PCLCD.pdf

But are you looking for an absolute time( such as turn on valve till July 29th @ 5:00PM) or are you just looking for a 15 minutes from now type timer.

You could do the later with just a manual spring timer and read as an binary input, or you could use a potentiometer to go between 1 and x minutes based on how far they turn the knob and read in the resistance.

For feedback you could have a start button then have a LCD display to show time remaining via an analog output.

a few different options, just not 100% clear on your needs.

-Jeremy

What about and Advantech touchscreen with its built-in Bacnet or Modbus drivers?

the little 3.5" WOP-2035V comes with a software utility for building graphics on it...like buttons and sliders and stuff.
    1 + 1 = 3 ( *** for very large values of 1)

...everybody wants a box of chocolates and long stemmed rose

The customer currently has a spring wound timer but they want something a little more 'sophisticated'. I just need to enter a number for the duration that the valve will be opened. I need to monitor water flow and check that the water does not flow for a longer period that than the set time value.
    Money is not really a factor here. The customer wondered if I could install an iPad alongside the Jace so they can enter the time duration.
    The purpose of this is to be sure that the valve does not stick open or fail in some way and allow flow longer than the set duration.
    The display recommended by kc2dnw looks like an ideal solution. I will look more into that.
    "Controls is a lifestyle not a job" -klrogers

Could you use a potentiometer tied to an analog input on your i/o? This could be used to set the duration.

Use one of the inputs of your ndio and make it work that way either a potentiometer on an AI or a DI and a software timer.
    UA Local 141