Thread: new homeowner looking for options

Post Likes

new homeowner looking for options

Hey everyone i just bought a new home and really want to put A/C in it as its only heat source is wall cadet heaters. I've called a few of my local HVAC shops and got some prices on different units but haven't gotten any real good info on what system is going to be best, i just feel like there just trying to sell me and help me get something that im going to benefit from. So i figured id try and do the research online and that's when i came across this site. Well let me tell you what im working with with here, my home is 1356sqft 3bd/2ba house is only 3 years old, and here are the systems I've been looking into....

trane furnace with trane xr15 heat pump

Fujitsu mini split system wit 2 indoor units

unico high velocity system with heat pump

My main goal here is cooling, but if i can have heat too thatd be fantastic. Also like everyone else i want something that is going to be energy efficient and save me money in the future. So whats the pro's take on these systems pros/cons of each??? Thank you in advanced!

Post Likes
    My only concern with "mini-splits" is whether or not they'll stand up for the long run. I'm talking 15-18 years. It seems that most are built similiar to window AC units and might last 8 years or so. But since they have not been in market too long I'm not talking from experience. As for high velocity systems such as Unico, they go into areas that are hard for standard systems but if I had my "druthers", I'd opt for the standard system. IMO anyway. You're not really quoting apples to apples here I'm sure you understand. These are three totally different type of systems, and pricing will vary a lot I'm sure!!

Post Likes
    Ya I totally understand that they are 3 completely dif systems apples to oranges lol! Price quotes on them have been close with the traditional system being the most, but our power company offers a 1500 rebate on the mini split system!

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

Post Likes
    Since you mentioned you want something that will be energy efficient, I thought I'd mention the importance of ensuring your home does not have a lot of air leakage and/or insulation issues. Resolve any of these issues before addressing your hvac issues.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Post Likes
    As soon as we close on the house next week im planning on doing that, the local power company does it for free. Also went in and talked with one of the places and got it narrowd down to either the full trane system, or a 3 unit mini split system, just wondering if the full trane system is worth a few thousand more?

Post Likes

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by HOOCH View Post
    As soon as we close on the house next week im planning on doing that, the local power company does it for free. Also went in and talked with one of the places and got it narrowd down to either the full trane system, or a 3 unit mini split system, just wondering if the full trane system is worth a few thousand more?
    So what country / state are you from ...
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    i live in Kalispell, MT

Post Likes

Thumbs up Life spans needs some study

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    My only concern with "mini-splits" is whether or not they'll stand up for the long run.

But since they have not been in market too long I'm not talking from experience.
    I believe that mini-splits have been around for a couple decades in Europe and Japan. What is the Operating Experience and expected lifetimes based on equipment in these regions / various manufacturers?
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Life Expectancy and Warranties

Air-source heat pumps have a service life of between 15 and 20 years. The compressor is the critical component of the system.

Most heat pumps are covered by a one-year warranty on parts and labour, and an additional five- to ten-year warranty on the compressor (for parts only). However, warranties vary between manufacturers, so check the fine print.

http://www.americanminisplits.com/abcsofheatpumps.html

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HOOCH View Post
    i live in Kalispell, MT
    I am assuming you don't have gas available? All three units are electric only.

Did the hvac people do load calculation for your house? What size AC will you have installed?

trane furnace with trane xr15 heat pump
    Pro: Conventional system, 15 SEER (energy efficient)
    Cons: $$$ for installing duct system

Fujitsu mini split system wit 2 indoor units
    Pro: Able to have 2 zones with your 2 indoor units, more control in heating and cooling. Efficient, quiet, no duct work needed.
    Cons: Lower capacities, indoor units are kinda bulky looking on the walls.

unico high velocity system with heat pump
    Pro: Smaller ducts than conventional systems If done right, high velocity allows for more even cooling.
    Con: Worry about noise when installed incorrectly. Mixed reviews.... usually more expensive.
    You can call me Sam

It should be a crime to be a mechanical engineer in San Diego
    Summer Design Temperature: 83 F Dry Bulb ~ 69 F Wet Bulb (California Climate Zone 7)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in