Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    so how wide are these return chases? I often take the filter grill off and line the inside of the return with ductboard,
    caulking 2x's at floor and sealing all leaks. just takes small person and want to do it. granted it is a tight fit..but it helps
    to have someone outside of r/a handing up ductboard. if chases are tall and you can't reach..take r/a plenum off in attic
    and put ladder in r/a from attic.

you just need someone who can do it.
    measure inside your returns & post info.

aeroseal is a ripoff if ducts are acessable. if they would tell customers
    that they can only seal openings less than 1/4" at least it would be
    truth in advertising. Lots of openings are bigger than 1/4". I've put my
    whole hand in duct take off cuts at plenums that were covered
    with insulation.

just my opinion and experience.

what does the company say? they just can't won't do it?
    probably not the are out making big $$ with little effort.

rent me a hotel room for a couple of three nights..been a long
    time since I was in texas..LOL.
    kinda punch drunk from 14 hour day & drive back from Lake Charles today...
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

I have a total of 4 returns for a 4 ton unit-
    3 in wall: 32x12, 32x12, 22x12 grill size- they open into a space that is as wide as they are, but only as deep as a 2x4 (so a little less than 4 inches deep)- so the in wall size is 32*4, 32*4, 22x4 (well a little less since the grill is larger than the actual sheetrock hole is wide.
    1 other which connects straight to a ~8" duct

No little dude is gonna fit in there...

Of the in wall returns- one is completely accessible from the top in the attic. Of the other 2, one has the wall to duct transition (?plenum) buried underneath the second story, but does have a closet on the other side so if I had to tear out that sheetrock on the closet side to patch it up I could. The third is more difficult- I still have trouble locating the return in the attic- I think it might be semi accessible, but might be covered by other ductwork, or might even be covered.

I might first contact that original airrite company, since they have already gotten $$$$$$ from me and did seem to genuinely care- maybe a long sit down talk with them is in order. If they claim they can't do anything, I'll try someone from this forum to see if they agree or have any other options...

Maybe I'm worrying too much, but it's just driving me nutts knowing I'm losing soo much a/c/heat...

You are way undersized on return air for a 4 ton. If they are sealed at the top from the attic air the other leaks are a non issue ,best is add a ceiling return air

Thanks for the info on the being undersized- this is where it bothers me that the 3-4 hvac guys who have been to my house to give me a quote on a new A/C unit said nothing about that. Actually 2 wanted to bump me up to a 5 ton (no manual J or anything). Is there a subjective way of assessing the return air flow adequacy that should be done or is eyeballing it ok- b/c it seems like eyeballing it has led to widely different ideas.

I wonder if it's worth converting the in wall returns to ceiling returns right by them- I think a hole could be punched in the ceiling and ceiling returns added without much problem.

The AOP forums/Ask Our Pro's forums, are restricted to only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC can post advise, questions or commentary in a thread created by someone else. You need to apply for your vetting/* if you wish to participate in threads in the AOP forums. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-16-2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Dallast, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

personally, I like a high supply and low return.
    others disagree & some agree.
    this is just my personal prefrence.

seems to me somewhere in the code it forbids
    r/a to be above either 8 or 9'. so your
    ceiling heights come into play.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12