Thread: Quoted Rheem, Installed Thermal Zone

Post Likes

Quoted Rheem, Installed Thermal Zone

Our contractor quoted a 5 ton Rheem unit and installed a Thermal Zone unit. I understand that they are made in the same plant. Cant find alot of information, good or bad about this brand. Should I be worried? Is this a good brand to have? Not talking about specific pricing but would they be similar in price? Thanks for any and all help you can provide!

Post Likes
    This is why it's very important model numbers are on quotes and proposals, as for as I know Rheem and Thermal Zone are not the same company.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    What did your dealer have to say? Do you have a written estimate or quote that actually specifies "Rheem"?
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Post Likes
    Pameco Co. owns Thermal Zone from what I found, they do look like a "clone" of Rheem/Ruud lower end model.

Quote Originally Posted by Chill26 View Post
    Not talking about specific pricing but would they be similar in price? Thanks for any and all help you can provide!
    Personally I would say there would be a huge contrast in the price of a Rheem to a Thermal Zone.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    The installer told "the wife" he would install a Rheem unit. The quote states "Any Unit".
    Im sure im screwed. The misses was there with the contractor while i was at work and agreed to allow him to perform the job. So far, so good on the install. All of the work not completed yet and its not all been paid for yet. Just wondering if i have leverage to negotiate of the price. Thanks again!

Post Likes
    The installer told "the wife" he would install a Rheem unit. The quote states "Any Unit".
    Never heard of anything like that, well he did install "Any Unit", so I guess he fulfilled the contract.

Post Likes
    id look to negotiate if i paid rheem pricing. ...... but the contract is the contract . .

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    This is why it's very important model numbers are on quotes and proposals, as for as I know Rheem and Thermal Zone are not the same company.
    This is a BIG 10-4.............it is unbelievable in this day and age that people aren't more careful.

This happens more than it should and it is all because "they" (the dishonest or no morels contractors) can and often get away with it.

I agree that you should ask for a discount or a Rheem unit if that is what your wife heard. Verbal, in my opinion, is as good as written. Maybe not in court, but thay's how I play.

Post Likes
    Thanks again for all your comments. Ill try to negotiate a lower price. This forum is great! Has anyone ever heard anything, good or bad, about this brand?

Post Likes
    Some states have a cool off time where you cancel contract with in 3 days if was in home sell

Post Likes
    I had never seen them, I'm located in Florida. I checked them out on-line and they do have a model that appears identical to the Rheem value line. Truth is, all the factories make pretty good equipment, I would be most concerned about paying an inflated Rheem price (which is typically not cheap). This could be more innocent that it appears....

This Thermal Zone comes out of a Rheem factory but due to distributor agreements, some may not be able to use the Rheem brand in the area but they can a Thermal Zone. The contractor is somewhat justified calling it Rheem equipment. I don't agree but some contractors call a tertiary brand, Payne or Ducane for example, by Carrier and Lennox. From their perspective the builders models are the same and its a label switch.

Post Likes
    Thermal Zone comes from United Refrigeration. Only diff from the value Rheem (13AJN) is the direction of the louvers on the cabinet. I don't see where you are owed anything, but you can try.

Post Likes

I have ...

Thanks again for all your comments. Ill try to negotiate a lower price. This forum is great! Has anyone ever heard anything, good or bad, about this brand?
    Installed a few with good results. Never heard a problem.

I would be more concerned with how well it is installed. My belief is that (for the most part) all systems are the same. The only difference is the name tag on the box. That is assuming the SEER rating and warrantee is the same.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in