Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    True true ....

But you will see smoke looooong before you will feel any heat.

P.s ... stop if you smell smoke

I've made carburetor spacers out of plywood to keep the carb cool. Works great.

Good morning from Thailand,

I have attached some photos of the condensing unit and the compressor.

The Condesor unit just looks to small for a 4 tom unit, the condensing coil is very small?

I have a request in for a price on a new condensing unit 4 ton 404a.

I need to replace the compressor anyway. Please take a look at the unit, it just looks to small for a 4 ton.

The compressor has had it's valves replaced 4 times!!

suction line is 5/8 and liquid line is 3/8.

Please be patient as I have limited access to information and parts on this island and indeed here in Thailand.

Thanks
    Farang (An American in Thailand)
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    O.K. icemeister now could you please explain how to read the capacity on there ? Is it the metric that's screwing with me ? How come they get RPM speeds and we don't ? Also shows duel voltage ? Delta & Y

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    O.K. icemeister now could you please explain how to read the capacity on there ? Is it the metric that's screwing with me ? How come they get RPM speeds and we don't ? Also shows duel voltage ? Delta & Y
    Compressor capacity (Q) is listed in the metric unit KW, where 1 KW = 3412 Btuh and the input power (P) is also in KW. The difference is Q is a heat unit and P represents electrical power.

I find it interesting that they use nominal horsepower in the model number though.

The dual voltage thing is basically the same as we have here. The larger sizes have either a 6 or 9-lead motor for connecting for the high or low voltage as well as for part wind start.

Compressor capacity (Q) is listed in the metric unit KW, where 1 KW = 3412 Btuh and the input power (P) is also in KW. The difference is Q is a heat unit and P represents electrical power.

I find it interesting that they use nominal horsepower in the model number though.

The dual voltage thing is basically the same as we have here. The larger sizes have either a 6 or 9-lead motor for connecting for the high or low voltage as well as for part wind start.
    Thank you for clarifying that ice. So I took the highest ambient of 55*C which is 131*F and -25*C which is about -13*F and the performance chart shows 4.41 Q Now 4.41 Q X 3412 = 15,046 Btuh or a little over 1 ton. How is the OP coming up with 4 ton ?

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Thank you for clarifying that ice. So I took the highest ambient of 55*C which is 131*F and -25*C which is about -13*F and the performance chart shows 4.41 Q Now 4.41 Q X 3412 = 15,046 Btuh or a little over 1 ton. How is the OP coming up with 4 ton ?
    The LA50-0400-EWL-202 is a nominal 4 horsepower compressor. A lot of guys are still using ton and horsepower interchangeably...even if it's not technically correct, as you have demonstrated.

Glad I could help.

It is very similar to the LAHA-031A-TAC

Good morning,

So how do I match the/a condenser with the Hugh Evaporator coil hanging in the Walk-in? it is 10" thick, three pass, 6 feet long and a foot high, with electrical heating units in the coil for defrost.

It just seems like a lot of coil for the installed evaporator.
    The system was repaired continually for over a year, no one could get the system run especially on days when it was raining, they changed the valves in the compressor on most occasions, Finally the compressor failed, I now have a winding shorted to ground, but it is not a burn out, refrigerant is clean as is what oil is left in the compressor.
    one other problem I was told was that they could not add R-22 until it was viable in the site glass, (located at the condenser), If you used the site glass to judge the systems charge as soon as vapor/gas appears in the site glass the head pressure goes way up and trips the H.P. safety.

I have an inquiry into a local dealer in Bangkok for the price of a new 4 ton R404a condenser.

Now I don't/am not sure what size I need.
    Is there a way I can calculate the size condenser biased on the size of the evaporator coil?

I have not been able to get a photo of the expansion valve due to the way they mounted the Evaporator coil, I will cut the cover open to see the TX Valve that is installed.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by farang View Post
    Good morning,

So how do I match the/a condenser with the Hugh Evaporator coil hanging in the Walk-in? it is 10" thick, three pass, 6 feet long and a foot high, with electrical heating units in the coil for defrost.

It just seems like a lot of coil for the installed evaporator.
    The system was repaired continually for over a year, no one could get the system run especially on days when it was raining, they changed the valves in the compressor on most occasions, Finally the compressor failed, I now have a winding shorted to ground, but it is not a burn out, refrigerant is clean as is what oil is left in the compressor.
    one other problem I was told was that they could not add R-22 until it was viable in the site glass, (located at the condenser), If you used the site glass to judge the systems charge as soon as vapor/gas appears in the site glass the head pressure goes way up and trips the H.P. safety.

I have an inquiry into a local dealer in Bangkok for the price of a new 4 ton R404a condenser.

Now I don't/am not sure what size I need.
    Is there a way I can calculate the size condenser biased on the size of the evaporator coil?

I have not been able to get a photo of the expansion valve due to the way they mounted the Evaporator coil, I will cut the cover open to see the TX Valve that is installed.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

Do you have a manufacturer name & model number of the evaporator? Without that, any attempt at determining the evap's capacity would be only a wild guess.

When you say the head pressure goes way up as soon as the sightglass clears tells me it's likely the receiver has a broken diptube. I found one just a few weeks ago and it was doing just what you describe. Torch the receiver to verify it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12