Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    A two degree difference from set point will activate second stage. If it has been 100+ where you are and it has been running in first stage mostly it is over-sized
    No. It has not been over 94 since it was installed. I was just saying we do get 100+ degree days here. I had a 2.5 ton before and it ran a LOT when very hot but it would keep up. You can't get a 2.5 ton Carrier 2 stage so I think the 3 ton that operates in 2 ton most of the time is probably Ok. You can get a 2 ton 2 stage but that wouldn't be enough. I know you don't want he unit to short cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Triton1 View Post
    No. It has not been over 94 since it was installed. I was just saying we do get 100+ degree days here. I had a 2.5 ton before and it ran a LOT when very hot but it would keep up. You can't get a 2.5 ton 2 stage so I think the 3 ton that operates in 2 ton most of the time is probably Ok. I know you don't want the unit to short cycle.
    Where are you located?

Located in Virginia.

Located in Virginia.
    Highest design temperature for Virginia is 93. Your system is over sized.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Highest design temperature for Virginia is 93. Your system is over sized.
    Well, your the professional and I'm far from it but I'm not sure you have enough definitive information to make that statement. I wanted a 2-stage for comfort and efficiency and as I mentioned before you can't get a 2 stage Carrier in 2.5 tons which is what size I had before that ran almost all of the time when hot. The 2 ton 2 stage would not be enough and the 3 ton will run in "2 ton mode" most of the time so I don't see why that is oversized.

What about in the heating mode as far as "design temperature"

It's VERY possible that your old 2.5ton system wasn't actually delivering 2.5 tons of cooling. However what's done is done, as long as you are happy with your new system.

Well, your the professional and I'm far from it but I'm not sure you have enough definitive information to make that statement. I wanted a 2-stage for comfort and efficiency and as I mentioned before you can't get a 2 stage Carrier in 2.5 tons which is what size I had before that ran almost all of the time when hot. The 2 ton 2 stage would not be enough and the 3 ton will run in "2 ton mode" most of the time so I don't see why that is oversized.

What about in the heating mode as far as "design temperature"
    10 to 22 degrees depending on where in Va.

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    It's VERY possible that your old 2.5ton system wasn't actually delivering 2.5 tons of cooling. However what's done is done, as long as you are happy with your new system.
    Possible but the condensor was 8 years old when it locked up and the air handler was only 5 but I didn't want to piece meal a system again plus I had to go to 410 refrigerant. It has always seemed like it has run the same plus my electric bills have averaged about the same and not unreasonable.

I just don't have enough time with the new system yet plus it is my upstairs which I am not up there all of the time so it may have bumped to stage 2 for a while and I didn't notice it. Time will tell.

If your old system was piecemealed it's likely it wasn't delivering it's rated capacity. You electric bills should have dropped with the new high end system, especially when compared to an 8yr system. Time will tell, and if you have been having unusually hot weather...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12