Carrier Infinity: Multi-coil capable?

I'm doing some research for my father. He's interested in variable-speed compressor technology, and is zeroing in on Carrier's Infinity line of heat-pumps. Living in Houston, a heat-pump isn't really necessary, but it looks like that's the only commercially available type of equipment available for residential use at this time?

He's not getting solid answers to his questions from our local carrier dealer, and he asked me to see what kind of research I can turn up 'on the google'.

The big question is if the infinity control bus will be able to intelligently deal with a multi-coil setup. He currently has 5 air-handlers working with two condensers (3 on one, 2 on the other), and would like to keep this arraignment if possible.

I see that the Infinity controls use a digital bus between the HP/furnace/and control, so physically this wouldn't seem like a big problem, but does anyone know if the controllers in the furnaces and the HPs will know what to do with this kind of setup?

Any thoughts, ideas, references, questions, etc are much appreciated!

The multi zone minisplits allow multiple indoor units. AS far as I know, Carrier Greenspeed only uses conventional zoning with a single coil. Mutiple coils would require multiple EEV's (electronic expansion valve) and I don't think its' set-up for that... yet. No demand in that market for now.

IF he really wants multiple air handlers on a single condenser, he can look at Mitsubishi and I think Daikin as well. They can mix and match a wide variety of indoor units and have the option of a 3 pipe refrigerant system that allows simultaneous heating and cooling in diffrent zones. A good example would be a basement needing heat in the spring and fall or having company over for dinner in the winter and needing cooling in a dining room and kitchen, but heating in the rest of the house.

THe VRF system might be cheaper as well since he could use a single condenser for all 5 air handlers.

Quote Originally Posted by dewhite04 View Post
    I'm doing some research for my father. He's interested in variable-speed compressor technology, and is zeroing in on Carrier's Infinity line of heat-pumps. Living in Houston, a heat-pump isn't really necessary, but it looks like that's the only commercially available type of equipment available for residential use at this time?

He's not getting solid answers to his questions from our local carrier dealer, and he asked me to see what kind of research I can turn up 'on the google'.

The big question is if the infinity control bus will be able to intelligently deal with a multi-coil setup. He currently has 5 air-handlers working with two condensers (3 on one, 2 on the other), and would like to keep this arraignment if possible.

I see that the Infinity controls use a digital bus between the HP/furnace/and control, so physically this wouldn't seem like a big problem, but does anyone know if the controllers in the furnaces and the HPs will know what to do with this kind of setup?

Any thoughts, ideas, references, questions, etc are much appreciated!
    Will not work

So, if he wants to stay with a multi-coil setup, is there anyone offering solutions in traditional ducted split systems that I can lead him towards? He's not too excited about the switch to Puron, but I think his time for that change has come...

Whatever is the most efficient technology on the market at this time would be of interest...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dewhite04 View Post
    So, if he wants to stay with a multi-coil setup, is there anyone offering solutions in traditional ducted split systems that I can lead him towards? He's not too excited about the switch to Puron, but I think his time for that change has come...

Whatever is the most efficient technology on the market at this time would be of interest...

Thanks!
    The VRF units have air handlers models that air ducted. They would be a direct repalcement. That would be the most efficient set-up. Another set-up would be a chiller and switching to chilled water fan coils. The last would be putting in 5 convenontional split system each properly sized.

Multiple coils on a single condenser is done, but it's not really "normal". I'll put it this way, you won't find a mfg installation guide or data sheets that gives information on how to install a regrigerant header for 2 coils. You won't find and AHRI data for capacity or efficiency with 2 or 3 coils.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    The VRF units have air handlers models that air ducted. They would be a direct repalcement. Just new linesets and refrigerant manifolds.

Multiple coils on a single condenser is done, but it's not really "normal". I'll put it this way, you won't find a mfg installation guide or data sheets that gives information on how to install a regrigerant header for 2 coils. You won't find and AHRI data for capacity or efficiency with 2 or 3 coils.
    I'm aware that it's a unique setup. There is a reason we refer to his combined system as 'the zone monster'.

Thanks for your input!

I forgot to odd, that you could put in a cooling tower or geothermal ground loops and use water cooled heat pumps. That would also be very efficient.

I looked at the VRF's several times for my site. Cost was always a factor.

Geothermal loop and multiple heat pumps might not be a bad way to go. There are water cooled heat pumps with inverters now too.