Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hello,

Being technically stubborn, I have created a problem with my new heat pump.

Parts:
    Original Thermostat - Trane xr401
    New Thermostat - Honeywell TH6110D
    Heat Pump - Trane 2TWB0

I installed the Honeywell thermostat (1H/1C) and got the power going, but it wouldn't start the cooling process. I reverted to the orignal thermostat so that I could call in a professional. I hooked it up as it was originally, but am now not getting any power to the unit.

I am hoping I didn't short out my system as I replaced my outside fuses in case I blew those, but not sure if there is anything else I can check.

Any advice would be beneficial.

Thanks,

Mark

You let the magic smoke out . Now it's time to call in a pro. Look at all the money you saved. Look for more fuses.

Sorry, due to Forum Rules there is no DIY help.

The previous poster gave you the best info you could get. Call a service tech to diagnose your equipment.

Lesson learned - the ability to disect a V-8 engine or program computer systems to automate delivery systems does not translate to being able to properly install a thermostat.

Regardless of your mistake, take into account that you can void your warranty on a new system if you go wrenching on it. The money saved on a t-stat upgrade by DIY would be spent 10 fold if you lose your warranty and a compressor fails. Just something to consider.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

did he actually admit to replacing a h/p t-stat with a 1h 1c t-stat?
    I don’t always drink beer, but when I do I prefer Dos-Equis. I am the most interesting man in the world. Stay thirsty my friends.

Originally posted by 1972torino
    That's the one the guy with the orange vest said he needed.

Originally posted by 1972torino

LOL... yes he did
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Hi beenthere.

I was poking around here to try and get an answer on this very stat. Just an FYI, Honeywell is indeed claiming the TH6110D model to be a HP compatible stat. It's about the most featureless HP stat I have ever seen but they claim it works (albeit with no provisions for the homeowner to manually use the emergency heat).

It would seem to me that a TH6220D would be the better choice from Honeywells line, no?

It will only work with HP's that do not have a back-up heat source. Take the advice from the other posters and call a pro.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

It's becoming increasingly obvious to me that the vast majority of the DIYers on this site have already done brain surgery on themselves because the scalpel only costs $12.00 over the internet!!
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Angry

Well living in PA I have never seen a heat pump without a backup heat source.

And it's a bit much for Honeywell to market this particular stat as a HP model, wouldn't you say? Misleading even?

And also, it makes some of you look really bad to make fun of homowners for making innocent mistakes. Internet bullying must be fun for some of you, huh? You wonder why some people are so reluctant to call a HVAC tech ? Take a look in the mirror, you are why. The DIY'ers you make fun of here could be your customers tomorrow. Act like it.

It is only misleading to you and the other DIYers. To us techs who do this for a living, we know what it means.

Honeywell is large company, they market stuff to the world, not just your little part of the world in Pa. Not all HP's have a back-up heat source, like in Southern Florida.

Some of us "bully" the diyers who post here, but they still post here, and they still call us when they can't fix it. We just laugh as we give them a bill that is 3 or 4 times higher than what the bill would have been if they would have called us first. I love DIYers, it makes us a lot of money.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast