Hmm

I have been trying to learn HVAC for some time on my own. After taking several classes, I do have my universal license. I am stuck learning mostly from a book except for the ocasional help from the HVAC pro's that help me out at my factory. I am attempting to fix a humidifier that someone threw away just to see if I can. It is a couple years old. I have cleaned the condensor and evaporator, (which I normally do before starting to trouble shoot anything) When the unit starts to run the capilary tube between the evaporator and the condensor starts to frost. The frosting starts at the evaporator entrance and moves towards the condenser. Based on other experiences I think the tube may be plugged. Is this valid? It doesn't appear to be leaking. Anybody what to give a Newbee some advice? Thank you.

Recover and recharge the unit, it has a slight leak. I didthis about three years ago on one that was thrown away, it still works.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

humidifiers don't have evaps or condensers. are you running the DEHUMIDIFIER with the cover on or off?

OK, You are correct. Sorry for the incorrect term. A DEhumidifier is what I am working on. I was however watching it with the cover off. I understand that the air flow wouldn't be the same. It did start to frost right away. Thanks for your input. Anymore is will be appreciated.

try it with all covers and panels in place now that you cleaned it. improper air flow could cause frost.

Response

I put the covers back on and it still frosts the cap. tube when the compressor starts. I am planning on trying my electronic sniffer and maybe some soap suds to look for a leak. I have a couple piercing valves to evac. the system and recharge if I have to. It's a R22 unit so I have refridgerant too. Any more advice? I appreciate the help, someday I'll know what I'm doing.

the leaks i have fiund on them usually ens up being on the copper to aluminum connections. then i scrap them.