Thread: Compressor RLA

Confused Compressor RLA

I have a York 5 ton A/C system with a gas furnance. The A/C tech that recently perform a Preventive Maintenance Yearly Service told me that my compressor was not operating efficiently based the RLA spec to the actual ampere reading. The RLA is 28.9 and the ACTUAL reading was 22.6 amps. He said that indicated the compressor has tight windings and would not last much longer. He also said the ACTUAL ampereage reading should be half of the RLA, which in this case would be 14.45 amps.

My question is: Is would he stated a true statement? Please state the facts as to why it is or is not true. I would greatly appreciate some factual basis so I can make an educated decision as to whether or not to purchase a NEW system or whether I can wait.

Find another tech! yours is full of it! RLA is "RATED LOAD AMPS" and it should not be drawing rated load amps, yours is fine.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by grfla01 View Post
    He also said the ACTUAL amperage reading should be half of the RLA, which in this case would be 14.45 amps.
    Please find out were he learned this, and have him show you the documentation.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

The the actual amp draw of the compressor will vary with the indoor and outdoor conditions.

In mild outdoor conditions, with not much load on the evaporator coil, it may run as low as half the RLA.
    Under normal load conditions, it may run around 3/4 of the RLA.
    Under high load conditions, but within the envelope of what the system is designed for, it may pull very near RLA.
    During a hot pull down after a repair on a hot day, where it is also abnormally hot in the house, it may pull higher than RLA.

As for the technician, based on the information given, I'll just say he is wrong, and leave it at that.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    As for the technician, based on the information given, I'll just say he is wrong, and leave it at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Find another tech! yours is full of it! .
    Well that was my message also that he was wrong, I just put it differentially, but the same message.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Well that was my message also that he was wrong, I just put it differentially, but the same message.
    Possibly a commission "tech" that is required to push replacements for anything over 10 years old.
    They usually get paid nothing for a cooling check-up if they don't sell a repair or replacement.

We don't know that for sure based on the info given though, he could just be stupid.

If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Your tech is incorrect.

He may be confusing LRA with RLA. Similar acronym, but completely different meanings.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Tight windings? Any tech worth his salt has a winding loosener. Sheesh, kids these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

Huh... tight windings? That's a new one. I would hope that the windings would stay at pretty much the same...ummm...errrr.... "tension" ...being bonded to the stator in a varnish and all.

IF a motor is about to fail... you won't see it looking at amperage unless maybe it's a bearing abut to lock-up.

TO check motor health, you have to test the windings with a special high tester to check for failing insulation. You might be able to test for compressor health with a refrigerant sample, or by performing vibration analysis... but that's a little overkill for a residential AC unit... or any hermetic motor under about 50-100 HP.

Lets put it this way. "loose" and "tight" are mechanical terms. The only think mechanical in a motor is the bearing. Bearing don't get tighter as they wear.

Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaDave View Post
    Tight windings? Any tech worth his salt has a winding loosener. Sheesh, kids these days.
    You can pick one up cheap at Walmart in the automotive section next to the blinker fluid and exhaust bearings.