Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

First day alone doing calls...

-with a new company. Gave me the keys to a van and 4 addresses to go to.

First one was easy, bad indoor blower motor. Blower wheel clogged. Called office to figure out which supply house to go to for motor & blower wheel. Got the address but had trouble finding it. Eventually found the place and brought in the dirty motor & wheel. Got the new ones then tried switching the wheel in the housing in my van in the parking lot... it was 1" too big. So I went back to get the right size... then they said you should use a smaller motor too. Returned everything back. Got the proper stuff. Got back to the job and installed it. The customer was happy, had her approve on a maintenance agreement (Which she really could use) then she wanted to know warranty information on the motor and my service. I didn't know how to respond.. I said just call my company and we will take of it. But she didn't like that, she wanted proof on paper. I said most manufacturers provide a 1 year warranty on parts... then she wanted proof of that... and asked "What if it fails next week, or tomorrow?". Then cancelled the maintenance deal.

Finally got to the 2nd job, condenser was beyond filthy with dust, grass and pet hairs clogging it. Got it clean, but still wasn't cooling too well. They weren't using an air filter, so I started taking about the evap coil area, but the TXV was right in the middle of the triangular sheet metal panel, I didn't want to bend the copper too much and cause a leak. I couldn't peak inside, but the cap tubes were icing up. My boss said leave it alone... I took too long on this too. I was sure the evap was clogged too.

3rd call, I show up and this very unhappy man opens the door and tells me I'm too late. It was 4:15. Dispatch said I would be there from 11:00 - 4:00. The guy told me to leave.

4th call, the office had another tech go take care of it...

It started great, but little obstacles made it a bad day for me... I really wanted to make a good impression today. I like this company and I've wanted to work for them since I got my certificate from school. Do you think this will make me look bad to the boss?

I am young (24) and have almost 2 years exp. Do you guys think I did okay? How long should it take to get the hang of things? Even filling out invoices here is pretty different from what I'm used to.

~thanks

Post Likes
    The only advice I can think of, when customer is questioning you about warranty or anything you aren't sure about, it's ok to say to the customer, "that's a good question, if you can give me a few minutes I'd like to call my supervisor so I can give you an accurate answer?"

/edit - and regarding being 15 minutes late to a call, you had no control over so that so don't let it bother you. And some people may disagree with me, but, do your best to learn what your employer expects of you. In other words, don't set a higher standard of work than they want you to perform. If boss doesn't want you to be too thorough, don't do it. Maybe he knows the customer already had a quote to replace system, etc., Once you have proven yourself as a valuable reliable employee, the company may be willing to listen to suggestions for what you think needs to be different; but for now, keep all that to yourself

Post Likes
    I would tell you trying the wheel in the parking lot was about the smartest thing ya did.
    Trusting them with sizing the motor...maybe not.

Remember that counter guys are behind the counter for a reason.

Spending 8 hours on a motor and an outdoor coil clean is a bit excessive.

Not knowing your companies warranty is a problem. If you were clearly informed, shame on you. If they didn't tell you, BIG shame on them.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Yeah that place seemed knowledgeable. The old motor just had an amp rating. (I'm very new to finding any parts)

They honestly haven't told me much about anything. This was my first week, I've just been riding along with other techs, and they've been taking the lead on everything then tell me basic info, and I ask a lot of questions too. I filled out half an invoice prior to today. They have me call and ask for pricing. And ask before I do almost anything...

Post Likes
    I groaned out loud as soon as you said you sold them a maintenance contract and said oh you work for one of those companies. When I was doing resi work I had 7 calls a day.

2 seems a little slow to me are you in a new area? I know getting use to how to do everything for a new company always takes a bit to make everything smoothly.
    Does it make you look bad to your boss? No probably not as long as he/she sees improvement
    UA Proud

"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    :\ The calls were pretty far apart from each though. + Traffic. Yeah this is a slightly new area to me. I really hope I can pick things up and get some easy calls or at least show what I know. I'm applying for Pro Membership on hvactalk. I was wondering if there's a board or topic about Truck stock/ inventory? I want to be more prepared. The van has hardly anything.

Post Likes
    Get a GPS so you get to the calls quicker. Learn company policy and it will become easier. You lost her trust when you didn't know the answer. No big deal it happens, but you know now for the next time. IMO warranty repair policy should be on the invoice anyways.

Think about getting an inspection camera and go through the high limit to inspect the evap. Quick and easy in a case like that. I know it is easier said than done with all you've been through.

Did you get any ride along time with another tech?

I wouldn't worry about it I think you will be fine.
    Trump keeps a book of Hitler's speeches on his bedstand.
    http://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/2...-marie-brenner

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
    Most misunderstood quote of all time!
    It was about the ability to collect taxes.

In 1965, A Conservative Tried To Keep America White. His Plan Backfired
    http://www.npr.org/2015/10/03/445339...mmigration-act

Post Likes
    Don't sweat it, we've all tripped and stumbled in our first days going out on our own.

Knowing how and where to find information is absolutely crucial. If you don't know how to answer a question, never reply with 'I don't know'. Always extend courtesy to the customer and give them assurance that you'll find an answer to their question. You're the professional and if you present yourself as someone otherwise, you think they're going to be comfortable with you working on their most expensive appliance in the house? Explain you're new to the company and aren't entirely familiar with their warranty policy, but let me call the office right now and find out for you. If it's a technical question or something that requires research, let them know you'll follow up with them by XXXX time, put it on your calendar, and stick to it. Do not be late for anything.

You have the whole weekend to prepare yourself. How you choose to spend the weekend will demonstrate your commitment to your career: will you spend it kicking back with friends or thinking about how to improve yourself and preparing better? Find suppliers and put their addresses/phone numbers in your phone, familiarize yourself with who sells what brands and where they're located. Find tech support hotlines for every manufacturer. Here's a quick list of common manufacturers for you to look up:

York
    Trane
    Carrier
    Lennox
    ICP
    Nordyne
    Rheem
    Goodman

Smartphones aren't just for Facebook and Instagram. Read your employee handbook or give your boss a call and ask questions. On Monday, there shouldn't be any excuse for fumbling around.

Quote Originally Posted by buttwheat View Post
    I groaned out loud as soon as you said you sold them a maintenance contract and said oh you work for one of those companies.
    Nothing wrong with maintenance contracts. Coils don't clean themselves and connections don't tighten automatically, among many other things. Maintenance can be very beneficial to the customer when done properly, extends the life of a system, and it helps build a loyal customer base too.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    Nothing wrong with maintenance contracts. Coils don't clean themselves and connections don't tighten automatically, among many other things. Maintenance can be very beneficial to the customer when done properly, extends the life of a system, and it helps build a loyal customer base too.
    Most companies around here that sell maintenance contracts are the scammer shops. Nothing wrong at all with doing maintenance. Handing a customer an invoice and telling them that they cam save 30% off this bill today if they buy a maintenance contract for the low price of $500. What this $500 buys you is you become a priority customer, you get 30% off all service calls and a free maintenance visit once a year, So what do you say Ma'am can I save you 30% today? This screams rip off to me.
    UA Proud

"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

10. Likes CircusEnvy liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buttwheat View Post
    Most companies around here that sell maintenance contracts are the scammer shops. Nothing wrong at all with doing maintenance. Handing a customer an invoice and telling them that they cam save 30% off this bill today if they buy a maintenance contract for the low price of $500. What this $500 buys you is you become a priority customer, you get 30% off all service calls and a free maintenance visit once a year, So what do you say Ma'am can I save you 30% today? This screams rip off to me.
    That we can agree with!

At the price we sell our service agreements, they actually cost us money every time we do maintenance, so it's entirely in the favor of the customer. It's the long-term benefit of a loyal customer who chooses us for service work and replacement that we prosper from. That's the way you do it.

12. Likes buttwheat liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel. View Post
    -with a new company. Gave me the keys to a van and 4 addresses to go to.

First one was easy, bad indoor blower motor. Blower wheel clogged. Called office to figure out which supply house to go to for motor & blower wheel. Got the address but had trouble finding it. Eventually found the place and brought in the dirty motor & wheel. Got the new ones then tried switching the wheel in the housing in my van in the parking lot... it was 1" too big. So I went back to get the right size... then they said you should use a smaller motor too. Returned everything back. Got the proper stuff. Got back to the job and installed it. The customer was happy, had her approve on a maintenance agreement (Which she really could use) then she wanted to know warranty information on the motor and my service. I didn't know how to respond.. I said just call my company and we will take of it. But she didn't like that, she wanted proof on paper. I said most manufacturers provide a 1 year warranty on parts... then she wanted proof of that... and asked "What if it fails next week, or tomorrow?". Then cancelled the maintenance deal.

Finally got to the 2nd job, condenser was beyond filthy with dust, grass and pet hairs clogging it. Got it clean, but still wasn't cooling too well. They weren't using an air filter, so I started taking about the evap coil area, but the TXV was right in the middle of the triangular sheet metal panel, I didn't want to bend the copper too much and cause a leak. I couldn't peak inside, but the cap tubes were icing up. My boss said leave it alone... I took too long on this too. I was sure the evap was clogged too.

3rd call, I show up and this very unhappy man opens the door and tells me I'm too late. It was 4:15. Dispatch said I would be there from 11:00 - 4:00. The guy told me to leave.

4th call, the office had another tech go take care of it...

It started great, but little obstacles made it a bad day for me... I really wanted to make a good impression today. I like this company and I've wanted to work for them since I got my certificate from school. Do you think this will make me look bad to the boss?

I am young (24) and have almost 2 years exp. Do you guys think I did okay? How long should it take to get the hang of things? Even filling out invoices here is pretty different from what I'm used to.

~thanks
    Good thread thanks for starting. You are a good employee that cares about his job. From across the interweb I can tell that you are doing fine. Your to new to be fast and to young to be slow... So basicaly your f***ed

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post

You have the whole weekend to prepare yourself. How you choose to spend the weekend will demonstrate your commitment to your career: will you spend it kicking back with friends or thinking about how to improve yourself and preparing better? Find suppliers and put their addresses/phone numbers in your phone, familiarize yourself with who sells what brands and where they're located. Find tech support hotlines for every manufacturer. Here's a quick list of common manufacturers for you to look up:

York
    Trane
    Carrier
    Lennox
    ICP
    Nordyne
    Rheem
    Goodman

Smartphones aren't just for Facebook and Instagram. Read your employee handbook or give your boss a call and ask questions. On Monday, there shouldn't be any excuse for fumbling around.
    Let me help you start your list:

York Tech Support -1 800 874-7378
    Goodman Tech Support- 1 888 593-9988
    Lennox - 1-800-453-6669

It was a bad day, but we have all had them. Strive to do better, learn from your mistakes so you don't make the same ones again and you'll be fine. Don't let bad days get you down too much, there will be more of them...but you will have good days too. Gotta take the good with the bad.

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Post Likes
    Take a look at your service agreement form and your service ticket-read the legalize that is on it. Most companies' forms have the generic warranty info right there because its impossible to figure out a warranty for every part we sell.
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast