Post Likes

Untrained/Scam Tech in North Georgia

Had a family member (mother)call me from Athens Ga. She said her ac was not working. Went thru several steps w her and figured she was low on freon. Told her to call someone to come and check it.
    The "HVAC Contractor" and business owner that came out to work on it told her she had a leak that was not repairable and she needed a new system. He said the coil was frozen and needed some freon. He put in 8 1/2lbs!!!! Line set is about 20'. Name plate calls for 5.69 lbs.
    He said he put that much because it held that much. I asked him about the 5.69 lbs and he said that it takes more because of the indoor cool. (Matched system). The system obviously had SOME freon in it because the coil was freezing up. Probably only needed a couple of pounds.
    I made the trip to Athens within a few days to find out what was going on. I recovered almost 8 lbs, found a very small leak in the indoor coil, repaired and recharged (triple evac, etc) unit with 5.75lbs....everything looks good.
    I called the Ga Secretary of State and according to them, he is not a licensed HVAC contractor and his business license expired in 2012.
    I believe this falls under the category of HACK and someone trying to rip off the elderly.
    I have another story of this same guy doing poor work and recommending a new system when it is not necessary, but I won't bore you with that.
    Any suggestions from "legitimate" Georgia contractors on how to stop this guy. He is giving the good ones a bad name!

Post Likes
    That's very unfortunate. People like that give us all a bad name.

I'm a licensed contractor in Georgia. Our office is located in Cumming (a little north of Atlanta).

From my experience, you have to send a letter to the SOS then they will issue a cease and desist order for that individual.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    That's very unfortunate. People like that give us all a bad name.

I'm a licensed contractor in Georgia. Our office is located in Cumming (a little north of Atlanta).

From my experience, you have to send a letter to the SOS then they will issue a cease and desist order for that individual.
    I hope he can be stopped. He charged her $600 basically to screw up her system. This is $600 that a 75 year old lady did not have to waste.
    I will make some phone calls tomorrow and see what I can do.
    Not sure how to post a pic of another system he "serviced". Charged $300 and told them they needed a new system. (5 year old goodman 13 seer). Obviously did not check air flow or investigate to see why the air handler was vibrating like crazy.......One side of the indoor blower was almost completely covered with a piece of plastic. I Removed the plastic and really "serviced" the system and now it works fine. No need for a new system!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by johnredd View Post
    I hope he can be stopped. He charged her $600 basically to screw up her system. This is $600 that a 75 year old lady did not have to waste.
    I will make some phone calls tomorrow and see what I can do.
    Not sure how to post a pic of another system he "serviced". Charged $300 and told them they needed a new system. (5 year old goodman 13 seer). Obviously did not check air flow or investigate to see why the air handler was vibrating like crazy.......One side of the indoor blower was almost completely covered with a piece of plastic. I Removed the plastic and really "serviced" the system and now it works fine. No need for a new system!
    Not only the un-lic hacks that screw up the system & overcharge $$$$!!! Large franchised company in my area are the worst! They screw everyone & get ALL ($$$) they can! And they get very few call backs- they over charge $$$ & customer will not call back afraid of more charges. Charged lady $420.00 they put shop vacuum on condensation drain line 10 min. -- Very hard to prove a BAD repair & poor workmanship, overcharged$$$, sabotage on HVAC equipment. I have not heard about law suits on HVAC. -- Vehicles yes many & most get caught if they repaired a part & charged for a new part. Don,t know about lic-in Ga - in Fl need lic for install & change out- but only handyman lic- (any one can get NO qualifications) ($37.00) for any & all repairs. Do all repairs they want. What can a customer do to avoid the scams, and the untrained so called tech's???? The sales tech - The parts changers, rip off's & scams & thieves. Ants in contactor told customer needs new compressor. I ask customer for copy of invoice - Invoice states condenser fan motor in op ( OK it was not running) compressor over AMP- ing-(getting hot fan not running) Needs freon ( how can he tell fan not running)- System needs to be replaced. $5957.00 - this was a 4.0 mobile home package unit.