Thread: HVAC Help

Post Likes

HVAC Help

Hello,

Good afternoon. I write this post searching for some help in my HVAC career. This is going to be incredibly long, please bare with me.

I'm young, I'm a 20 year old technician who is currently struggling to grasp all the concepts. Basically, the reason I wanted to become a technician is because growing up I never had a father or male figure in my life to push me or help me want to become more technically inclined.

I'm not writing this to be a sob story, but basically I got into the hotel industry by way of lifeguarding and the Maintenance Technicians would tell me all about the skills they learned to be where they were. I decided to go to school to become an HVAC technician, however the school I went to is bad and is developing a bad name.

I went through a curriculum change which involved "class availability" constantly being changed as well as financial aid duties, I believe I literally have 8 agreements on file with the school. This adds stress, as I'm now a 40 hour a week Maintenance Technician at Metro Detroit's leading Conference Center / Hotel / Golf Course and struggling to get by everyday.

I am very slow at learning things, grasping things.. I was diagnosed with ADD at a young age and it really does affect me, I often have to catch myself from spacing out, and forget a lot of things at work. For example as soon as I walk through a door I have so much going on I forget the task at hand. It's very frustrating.

I've come a long way, from barely being able to tell a phillips from a flat head, to having some skills. However I'm still very far behind HVAC wise. I plan to take some Electrical classes soon, and I really want to become inclined in all areas.

Is there anyone who is older out there, willing to help me, take me on and mentor me, even online? Help me grasp some concepts? My supervisor was a smart 28 year old man and had a gift on how to teach me all areas of everything, but left for a better job at a hospital. I want to learn everything, even beyond HVAC.

I really value the learning experiences from those who are older than I am, who have been through the field in all areas, who are willing to be patient with me and understand me.

I'm sorry if you view all of these as excuses, I just want to get the help I need and have the person willing to help me understand it's going to be a process. I'm incredibly smart, when I finally do grasp something I feel as if I grasp it better than those around me.

Maybe part of the problem is that I often overthink something or the concepts. Especially so in electrical. One thing I learned from school "RTFM" has really made a lot of sense to me lately. When in doubt Read The F*** Manual. lol.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you, have a great afternoon.

Post Likes
    Get your post count up and apply for pro membership. I would be willing to help you if you show the initiative to get pro status. You can private message pro members when you have pro status.
    "Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort. The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" --- John Ruskin

Post Likes
    Thank you, I haven't been on the site for a while. I've been trying to get stronger mechanically through work at the hotel. I've been reading that's the place to go.

Do you know how many posts I need to apply and if I'm denied can I apply again? I'm about to go read more about applying for it. I'm about to dive back into my HVAC books and try harder I just feel as if I need a little extra umph in that learning curve if that makes sense. Even the most seasoned guys sometimes encounter needing help.

Thank you.

Post Likes
    I think most guys on this site would be willing to give you all the help you deserve. By that I mean we will not just spoon feed you information, we will challenge you, we will ask for data that you will need to provide, we will question why you did something. in other words we will help you as much as you help yourself. Sometimes you will want to get an attitude because of some of the seemingly smart A** responses, Don't. Grow a thick skin, it goes with the territory. As said get your post count up and get pro membership. Work on your discipline, the job requires it. It is this discipline that is going to help you with the job and keep you safe.

Post Likes
    The new guy at work is an electrician, possibly in his mid 30's mid 40's, seems willing to teach me some stuff. Been trying to absorb as much as possible lately just by reading even if I don't understand.

Been getting a good chuckle from the what not to do section on here.

Post Likes
    A lot of us are willing to help if you show an initiative to learn. Apply for Pro Status and ask technical questions in the Pro Forum. Until then, we can answer basic questions in the public forums to help get you started. There's no such thing as a dumb question either, so whatever pops into your mind, don't hesitate to ask.

Post Likes
    Join RSES.