Thread: hand tools

Hybrid View

What are the most common sizes of wrenches, sockets/ratchet, nut drivers, etc that would be encountered in HVAC/R? Do you ever encounter metric stuff or just standard? I'm putting me a "jump" bag together and want to put the most used tools in it for less trips to the truck. I already have my electrical bag but want a second bag for wrenches, digital therm, etc. What contents would you guys recommend for a primary bag to "grab and go" to diagnose and make minor repairs or charge a system?

I carry 1/4-9/16" wrenches in my service bag. I'll admit I rarely use them, the good ole adjustable wrench gets much more useage.

In the truck I carry a full set of metric and SAE wrenches.

In my main service bag I have 2 adjustable wrenches (and the standard wrenches listed above), 1/4, 5/16, 3/8 nut drivers (1/4 and 5/16 are the long magnetic version). 3 straight screwdrivers, 2 philips, 2 stuby straight and phillips, 1/4 and 5/16 stubby, needle nose pliers, wire strippers, wire crimpers, dikes, service wrench, small t-stat type screwdriver (with schreader tool on the handle), 1 tiny philips and 1 tiny straight screwdriver, flashlight, roll of electrical tape, small plastic storage box with assorted wire nuts and crimp connectors, my custom valve opening service ratchet, fieldpiece stick meter, amp clamp and temp head. Jumper wires, green snips, I also carry one of them cheezy charging charts they give out at the supply house, ductulator and a small notepad. I think that's about it, but I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Go buy a cheap digital camera so you can post up on the wall of shame

In my main service bag I have 2 adjustable wrenches (and the standard wrenches listed above), 1/4, 5/16, 3/8 nut drivers (1/4 and 5/16 are the long magnetic version). 3 straight screwdrivers, 2 philips, 2 stuby straight and phillips, 1/4 and 5/16 stubby, needle nose pliers, wire strippers, wire crimpers, dikes, service wrench, small t-stat type screwdriver (with schreader tool on the handle), 1 tiny philips and 1 tiny straight screwdriver, flashlight, roll of electrical tape, small plastic storage box with assorted wire nuts and crimp connectors, my custom valve opening service ratchet, fieldpiece stick meter, amp clamp and temp head. Jumper wires, green snips, I also carry one of them cheezy charging charts they give out at the supply house, ductulator and a small notepad. I think that's about it, but I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things.
    Sounds almost like my bag, except for the Feildpeice, I use Fluke, and Red snips. I also carry an inspection mirror, one of those neato angled ratcheting screwdrivers, a digital sling psychrometer, a cruddy digital manometer,a schrader replacement tool with ball valve, a modified ECO to test thermocouples and thermopiles, and a rag.

All of the above but also carry a long reach lighter for pilots in the winter, oh, and a squeegee.

Originally posted by a/c doctor
    All of the above but also carry a long reach lighter for pilots in the winter, oh, and a squeegee.
    Whats the squeegee for?

If there is some loose tape on a plenum or need to cover up a small hole with foil tape

Originally posted by a/c doctor
    If there is some loose tape on a plenum or need to cover up a small hole with foil tape
    Ahhh...You mean a plastic spreader type squeegee. And I was thinking maybe you did window cleaning too

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. My bag is getting heavier and heavier. Looks like I might have to ditch the bag and fab up a utility trailer to hitch up to my a$$ Probably still have to go back to the truck for something

I used to service a bunch of resturants in San Francisco, when I lived in the Bay Area. If yoou have ever been to SF, you would know that parking is a pain. So usually I would end up having to park the van a few blocks away. I would load up a hand truck with everything I thought I would need to make the repair after I diagnosed the problem....

You know what, even with that kind of foresight.........I always forgot something, and would have to go back to the van..

So, no matter what, you always end of going back to the van, just be efficient about it, bring something back to the van you dont need when you have to make that trip.

Old pill bottles for screws, connectors,etc. The spent prozac ones get the most comments.
    "could be a law...don't know. James Gregory