How important outside combustion air?

Hi,
    I've been so happy with the 2 stage/variable speed trane furnace for the main living area, i'm considering replacing the 17 y.o. single stage furnace xe90 upstairs (when I replace the failing air conditioner up there).

The furnace is shoved in a closet, and sucks air from a ceiling louvered grill that connects directly to the attic. Dust particle collect along the cracks of the closet door, so i'm pretty sure a good bit of conditioned air is used for combustion.

How important would adding a roof connecting PVC pipe to this set-up for intake air? Can I ask the pros and cons (my big con would be drilling the hole in the roof and getting it properly sealed)?

Thanks

Steve

Does your house have a gable roof? If so the intake could be located in the gable end vs. through the roof.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

We always install our high efficiency boilers and furnaces with outside combustion air/sealed combustion piping. A hole in the roof with proper sealing is not rocket science. You can easily hire a roofing company to put the flange in place if so desired. And to answer your question directly, combustion air is as important to your furnace as air is to you. Both need to breathe to survive.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

You asked:

Life or death is the answer! Would you like to continue to wake up in the morning?
    Using a giant opening to the attic certainly allowed enough combustion air to enter.....Probably way too much! to the detriment of your heating ( and cooling cost) You new unit should address this wasteful detail and still be safe. Probably a 90 percenter would answer your needs along with a good job of sealing/ insulating from a good weatherization/ insulating contractor
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by central nj View Post
    Hi,
    I've been so happy with the 2 stage/variable speed trane furnace for the main living area, i'm considering replacing the 17 y.o. single stage furnace xe90 upstairs (when I replace the failing air conditioner up there).

The furnace is shoved in a closet, and sucks air from a ceiling louvered grill that connects directly to the attic. Dust particle collect along the cracks of the closet door, so i'm pretty sure a good bit of conditioned air is used for combustion.

How important would adding a roof connecting PVC pipe to this set-up for intake air? Can I ask the pros and cons (my big con would be drilling the hole in the roof and getting it properly sealed)?

Thanks

Steve
    You pretty much covered the pros and cons... you don't want to compete with the furnace for oxygen and it will be a lot safer to have an outside source for combustion air. If the furnace is close to an outside wall, you can drill sideways instead.
    You can call me Sam

It should be a crime to be a mechanical engineer in San Diego
    Summer Design Temperature: 83 F Dry Bulb ~ 69 F Wet Bulb (California Climate Zone 7)