Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

buying refrigerent without a license

where i work, here on long island, the distributors are very stiff about being certified in order to purchase refrigerants or equipment that is charged with refrigerant. i am totally okay with this. it helps to filter out the homeowners and guys that do half ass side jobs. some of my distributors wont even sell to an individual and will only sell to contractors (also awesome). so my question is, why did i go and get certified and create these accounts if a homeowner can just go online and buy air conditioning equipment? what happens when these people try to install it themselves and accidentally blast 6lbs of 410a into the atmosphere? this website even has r22 equipment! it must be dry charged units, but who in their right mind is installing entire new systems that still require r22?

http://ingramswaterandair.com/hvac-d...eer-p-589.html

R-410a has 0 ozone depletion factor, so it's not highly regulated like CFC's and HCFC's.

It does has a very high global warming factor, but global warming is not really true.... or is it?

"If perfection is your goal, you may end up with good enough, what might you end up with when good enough is your goal?"
    Wayne Pendergast, efficientcomfort.net

It can still give you some nasty frostbite at the least. Regardless, if i have to be certified to buy it i dont think websites should be allowed to sell it.

Good luck to the homeowner who tries to do a warranty claim when their unit breaks down after a hacked install.
    They can buy all they want, not taking any cash out of my pocket. You gotta know what to do with it after you buy it though.......

Quote Originally Posted by octaneforce View Post
    so my question is, why did i go and get certified and create these accounts if a homeowner can just go online and buy air conditioning equipment?

http://ingramswaterandair.com/hvac-d...eer-p-589.html
    You got certified because the law said you had to. Except for the supply houses no one has ever asked for certification including one contractor out here.
    As far as homeowners buying there own equ fine. Do you want them as a customer? I don’t.

AFAIK, no one needs certification to buy or handle HFC's. 134a for example can be bought readily at your local auto parts store.

If it's any comfort, diy's are bound by the same building codes and regulations that we are. If a permit is required they must get one as well.

And they always call us when they realize they're in over their heads.

"If perfection is your goal, you may end up with good enough, what might you end up with when good enough is your goal?"
    Wayne Pendergast, efficientcomfort.net

Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    Good luck to the homeowner who tries to do a warranty claim when their unit breaks down after a hacked install.
    They can buy all they want, not taking any cash out of my pocket. You gotta know what to do with it after you buy it though.......
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    You got certified because the law said you had to. Except for the supply houses no one has ever asked for certification including one contractor out here.
    As far as homeowners buying there own equ fine. Do you want them as a customer? I don’t.
    Its a problem when i quote a 3 ton change out for 5k and the customer sees it online for 2k and thinks im putting 3k in my pocket. They dont factor in linesets, pans, chain, transitions, pvc, leader pipe, **** even brazing rods can add up. I dont want them as a customer either but this isnt the market to pick and choose jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by penderway View Post
    AFAIK, no one needs certification to buy or handle HFC's. 134a for example can be bought readily at your local auto parts store.

If it's any comfort, diy's are bound by the same building codes and regulations that we are. If a permit is required they must get one as well.

And they always call us when they realize they're in over their heads.
    Very true. I didnt even think about the automotive 134a cans. As for the permits, people do work without permits all the time. But your right they usually get jammed up and we fix it.

It's the chlorine that you have to worry about. I believe 1 molecule of chlorine will destroy 100,000 molecules of the ozone layer.

Quote Originally Posted by octaneforce View Post
    Its a problem when i quote a 3 ton change out for 5k and the customer sees it online for 2k and thinks im putting 3k in my pocket. They dont factor in linesets, pans, chain, transitions, pvc, leader pipe, **** even brazing rods can add up. I dont want them as a customer either but this isnt the market to pick and choose jobs.
    Quit selling Goodman!
    The sooner everyone does, the sooner they'll quit that sheeit
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC 4 View Post
    It's the chlorine that you have to worry about. I believe 1 molecule of chlorine will destroy 100,000 molecules of the ozone layer.
    Says who... Al Gore?

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Says who... Al Gore?
    Chlorine is very damaging to the ozone layer because it reacts with O3 (ozone) and creates a large chain reaction with surrounding molecules. CFCs and HCFCs, which contain chlorine, are not soluble in water so they don't rain out of the troposphere as they rise to the stratosphere. Only 18% of naturally occurring molecules with chlorine are currently found in the stratosphere, the remaining 82% is entirely man-made. That's why they need to be phased out.

It's important that we don't discount science where science is proven, otherwise the liberals win.
    I'm terrible.

with the exception of supply house, just about anyone can buy any quantity of freon without EPA license. I will start with Craigslist, Ebay.. you can add the rest.

I personally don't know of a single incidence where someone went to jail either selling or buying freon.
    Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H.L. Hunt

"In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it." John uskin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast