Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Vacuum pumps and recovery machines

Hello, I'm looking to buy one recovery machine and one vacuum pump. I'm not sure if it matters which ones I get. Do brands play a factor in these machines? Also I noticed that some are 2.5cfm or 2 stage. Does it really matter how many cfm's or stages are in the machines? Thanks guys.

Post Likes
    I've become a fan of appion in the past couple years. They aren't cheap but neither is your time. Our yellow jacket XLT kicked the bucket two weeks ago midway through a recovery so we borrowed a friend's appion G5Twin to finish up the job. Took close to half the time to recover the second 4# as it did the first (with the yellow jacket). I was sold and we got one the next week. I won't say it is literally twice as fast, but it's got to be close.

We have owned the TEZ8 for a couple years now along with a few valve core removers and the mega flow recovery manifold. Lately I've scrapped using the manifold and started using 2- 3/8 hoses straight from the machine to two appion valve core removers on the units. A third valve core remover to isolate the micron meter before introducing refrigerant into the lines. I've had great success, even pulling down some systems to below 300 microns in less than 20 minutes and holding for a 30 minute lunch. I think their hoses are rated at 80 microns, the lowest I've held was around 110 microns.

If appion is too pricey, I believe the hoses, valve core removers and micron meter you use are more important than the brand vacuum pump you purchase. Be sure you're using vacuum rated equipment when vacuuming. We use yellow jacket vacuum pumps for years, keep the oil clean and I opened it up and cleaned mine out every couple years also. Still in the truck as a back up.

AND as far as size and stages go, if you're typically doing small residential work a 2.5 cfm is sufficient, if you go for a larger pump like an 8, go 2 stage. That's just my 2 1/2 cents.

Post Likes
    One more note for appion, every time we've had any issue with the TEZ8, their customer service is GREAT! they've sent us o-rings and a rebuild kit free of charge. And you talk to someone who can speak fluent English and knows what they're talking about.

Post Likes
    Appion and a dv200n...Two of my favorites...
    "If history repeats itself I am so getting a dinosaur"

Post Likes
    The G5 Appion and the JB eliminator although the TEZ appion has great features.

Post Likes
    Ive been very happy with the CPS products. I do mostly residential, under 5 ton. Good hoses, a manifold, and a micron gauge are essential.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears.

Post Likes
    When I decided to buy my own recovery unit I looked up the spec's on all the machines I could find. I was comparing the weight of the machine to how many pounds per hour it could recover. Price was not part of that process.

The Appion G5 twin won hands down. One of the lightest machines out there with one of the highest pumping rates.

Then I went on Ebay and got one for half price, LOL.

Post Likes
    Not sure where you are located, but if in a colder climate be sure to look at operating temps of the vacuum pump.

It was before I started but the guy I work with told me the company used to have a vaccuum that wouldn't run right below 30°.

Post Likes
    I am a big fan of Appions also...

The G5twin is FAST with liquid... however it is a bit slower with the residual gas... and this problem is exacerbated (made worse) when it is really HOT outside. One needs to get a CPS cooler and put it in the line.

http://www.cpsproducts.com/pdf/Man_MT69.pdf

The Appion TEZ-8, IMO, is the best vacuum pump for residential and light commercial available... simply because it sucks... (pun intended). The feature about changing the oil cartridge is cool... however I have not had to do that during a vacuum run.
    You guys are gonna trash me for this comment: I just pull the vacuum through a 4 valver manifold (Titan 2, with DC digital head on it)... using a pair of Appion valve core tools. Doing residential... I plan it so the pump can stay on the system for a min of 45 minutes... just plan your work to get the lines tied up and do something else while the pump is cooking. I get vacuums that hold... below 500 microns... all the time.

One of the features of both... that means a lot to me (I am over 60)... is they are light! Both are in the mid to upper 20#s range, and they are small enough to fit into my van in a small space.

I bought both on sale (twisted the arm of the guy at the supply house)... in the Spring of 2012... literally NO issues with them over 3 years.

Note the price is HIGH... one of those things.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Post Likes
    Another vote for the Appion, however nature is the best recovery machine and no need to drag out cords! Kidding of course.....
    Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained. (William Blake)

Post Likes
    Appion will likely be MY next purchase too.
    Vacuum Pump selection should be dictated by What you work on.
    It was "explained" to me years back that,
    Too much CFM "can" be a "bad thing" as your sucking too fast and achieve your target micron level too quickly.
    Doing Residential with a 6-10 CFM Pump is overkill and need to stick with like 5'ish max CFM to pull it down "right".
    Just Saying.
    As TP said, You might not think I know what I'm doing,but I do.
    I get a helper.WooHoo.Need 1 for sure.

Post Likes
    How is that a bad thing? No time to sit around doing nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by mrkelly View Post
    Appion will likely be MY next purchase too.
    Vacuum Pump selection should be dictated by What you work on.
    It was "explained" to me years back that,
    Too much CFM "can" be a "bad thing" as your sucking too fast and achieve your target micron level too quickly.
    Doing Residential with a 6-10 CFM Pump is overkill and need to stick with like 5'ish max CFM to pull it down "right".
    Just Saying.

Post Likes
    While I agree about overkill....

I have had really great results with my Appion TEZ-8 on residential work.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast