Remote Temperature Wiring

I have a carrier heat pump with a TP-PRH (Edge) programmable thermostat. The t-stat is located in another room from my main living area which has several large south facing windows. Because of this the heat/cool is very uneven. I would like to install a remote room sensor #zoneccorrso1. My problem is it would be very difficult to run wiring to my basement where the control for the Edge t-stat is located. I do have cat5 wire in place in a good spot for the sensor that terminates about 10 feet from my heat pump and would be simple to extend to the heat pump. Total run length would be about 25'. I can twist pairs together to effectively increase the gage. The specs for the remote sensor calls for 2 conductor 18ga stranded wire with a shield which is not even typical t-stat wire. The input volts is listed as 5 volts DC. Will the cat5 work? If no, is there another sensor that would work?

To clarify my post above, when I say I would like to install I am talking about my HVAC tech to install. I had him here last Thursday working on my month old new Carrier upstairs heat pump that they are now going to replace the air handler because of a bad (plugged) coil. I asked him about doing a remote sensor but he didn't know if the cat5 would work. I WILL have to extend the wire to the heat pump in the basement myself because I doubt (didn't ask) most HVAC techs can wire cat5 on 66 type termination fields or have punch down tools. I can.

Why not just put in a prestige 2.0 with wireless sensor http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/P...ort+System.htm
    For some reason I learn more with my mouth shut

Thanks but I really just want a simple remote sensor. I guess if nobody knows whether it will work on cat5 I will just have to live with it the way it is as I have done for many years.

Try it. I would.