Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Water originating from Waterfurnance Unit but from where?

I have a 6 Ton Waterfurnance Envision Unit with DeSuperHeater (DSH) in the vertical configuration. Earlier this spring when the unit was cooling, I noticed standing water around the unit (maybe a gallon??). It looked like it was seeping out from the bottom of the access door. I checked the drip pan and all associated piping. The sweat from the coils was draining properly into the pan and out the piping with no leaks. The coil compartment walls and bottom were all bone dry. The only wet area I found (other than the coils and drip pan itself) was the floor of the DSH compartment. Less than 1/8 inch standing water was laying in the bottom of the unit (where the DSH coils and piping are located). I cleaned up the water and it stayed dry.

It's been about 2 months, I just returned from a week vacation and again found the exact same thing. To my knowledge this is only the second time its happened. What could be causing this? Could my DSH be freezing up and sweating? What should I do next?

- The unit is cooling perfectly.
    - This is its third cooling season. (It was installed new about 3 years ago)
    - it does not seem to be drawing more power or running longer than my historical data logger charts show.
    - I currently turned the DSH off just in case.
    - Regarding my DSH. In the winter it works so good, I only need my WH coils set to 90 degrees to get 130 degree water. During the cooling seasons, I have to turn the temperature to 115 degrees or better because unless it is an extremely hot day, the DSH doesn't produce enough hot water. This has been the case ever since I've had the unit. I have an 80 gal fiberglass HW tank.

In case you are wondering, why I didn't do anything the first time, its because, I thought my steam humidifier had leaked and overflowed since I wasn't sure how long the water had been there. Since it just happened again and my humidifier is powered off and the water valve closed I know that wasn't it.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks.

The drain line is partially clogged and with these hot days and longer run times more humidity is being removed across the coils causing excess water

are you in northern va? could be the lines sweating inside the cabinet! also make sure the condensate tube isnt wet on the outside of the tube.

Quote Originally Posted by hewitt View Post
    The drain line is partially clogged and with these hot days and longer run times more humidity is being removed across the coils causing excess water
    if the pan is getting full the pan safety should throw a code on the front of the cabinet and on the tstat if its a waterfurnace tstat.

sorry just read the AOP rules wont post in here till i get my * which i just applied for....

jpsmith1cm is offline Global Moderator/AOP Committee
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010 View Post
    sorry just read the AOP rules wont post in here till i get my * which i just applied for....

are you in northern va? could be the lines sweating inside the cabinet! also make sure the condensate tube isnt wet on the outside of the tube.
    Yes, I'm in N. Virginia. The condensation tube is completely dry and the drip pan does not have any standing water in it. Everything in the cabinet is completely dry except on the bottom. After I dry up this round of water, It was suggested to me to pour some hot water in the drip pan and see if anything leaks.

Is the unit located in a hot humid garage

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    Is the unit located in a hot humid garage
    No, it's located in the basement. Which stays cool and nicely dehumidified. I have a weather station at my house. Here is the data for the week of the incident and two weeks prior.

Week of July 21 High: Low: Average:
    Temperature: 97.4 F 67.3 F 80.9 F
    Dew Point: 73.9 F 60.3 F 68.1 F
    Humidity: 82.0% 36.0% 67.0%

Week of July 14
    Temperature: 97.4 F 61.9 F 76.9 F
    Dew Point: 74.3 F 56.3 F 65.3 F
    Humidity: 83.0% 39.0% 68.9%

Week of July 7
    Temperature: 102.4 F 64.8 F 83.8 F
    Dew Point: 74.6 F 59.2 F 67.0 F
    Humidity: 82.0% 32.0% 59.6%

While I was on vacation, the DSH was on but no HW was being used and I had the house temperature held at 82 degrees.

**UPDATE** New information

I found that there is water underneath the plastic drip pan. I found the water was finding its way through two pieces of sheet metal and running down the backside of one of the insulated pipes to the bottom compartment. I poured 2 quarts of water into the drip pan. It drained almost as quickly as I poured it in. So if the pan had a crack it's hard to believe so much water would leak through to the bottom, given the water doesn't stay in long enough to even fill the pan.

Since the water is underneath the pan it is hard to tell where it's coming from. Is there anything else I can check or should I call my HVAC installer? Do you think this would be a warranty item?

I have seen where when it is humid like when the unit is started at the begining of cooling or after you get back from vacation, the coax heat exchanger sweats and leaks out of the basepan. Kinda sounds like your problem. Once the humidity is back down it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by kls-ccc View Post
    I have seen where when it is humid like when the unit is started at the begining of cooling or after you get back from vacation, the coax heat exchanger sweats and leaks out of the basepan. Kinda sounds like your problem. Once the humidity is back down it's fine.
    We'll it happened again overnight. About a gallon of standing water. I noticed the basepan isn't really wet inside. It's almost like all the condensation is missing the pan. Instead flowing around it. I don't think this is normal behavior even for humid days. I attached a photo and drew a blue line indicate how the water is flowing.

I've cut electricity to the unit off, because I don't want water dripping on components in the bottom compartment.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

if the pan is getting full the pan safety should throw a code on the front of the cabinet and on the tstat if its a waterfurnace tstat.
    I never saw any codes to indicate an overflow condition. In fact, the pan is mostly dry. I've never seen standing water in the pan. In fact, I pour a quart of water into the pan and it drained quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast