+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Electricians are hilarious

Post Likes

Electricians are hilarious

So this is something I haven't seen before...

Their electrician apparently forgot which disconnect went where, so he just winged it. No one noticed anything wrong until the neighbor's power was shut off, and the client's house warmed up. They were pretty upset when I told them they'd been paying for each other's AC for the last two years.
    "Every mathematician knows it is impossible to understand an elementary course in thermodynamics."

-V.I. Arnold

Post Likes
    That and it looks like sh*t lol.

Post Likes
    Just had a call at a condo that had this done by the previous hvac company. A hack is a hack no matter their trade. Of course I am a bit biased since I do electrical mostly...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by electrictim View Post
    Just had a call at a condo that had this done by the previous hvac company. A hack is a hack no matter their trade. Of course I am a bit biased since I do electrical mostly...
    Where I live me the hvac guy would run the electrical so this could be either or.

Post Likes
    wow really.....are the line sets crossed also.....lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC AIR View Post
    wow really.....are the line sets crossed also.....lol
    That would suck.

Post Likes
    Looks like they could have burnt up a whole stick of duct seal on that penetration.

Post Likes
    So, I see power coming into the first box. Then I see lines coming out to feed one unit and the other disconnect.

So are they running power from two breaker boxes to the first box or was the neighbor paying the bill for both units?

jim
    Common sense isn't very common anymore.

Post Likes
    Two breakers once upon a time fed two boxes--see the old box?--but they decided to take out about fifty feet of conduit and run both breakers through the same junction. At all times of the day their meters are just spinning like crazy. Oh yeah, their air handler is fed by some other adjoining unit, or else wired sstraight from the pole, since there isn't a breaker in the house that turns it off.
    "Every mathematician knows it is impossible to understand an elementary course in thermodynamics."

-V.I. Arnold

Post Likes
    Have I mentioned lately how much I hate rental properties? Because I feel like getting some shirts made that say F*** YOUR MAINTENANCE GUY AND HIS STUPID OPINION.

-V.I. Arnold

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by schr8er View Post
    Have I mentioned lately how much I hate rental properties? Because I feel like getting some shirts made that say F*** YOUR MAINTENANCE GUY AND HIS STUPID OPINION.
    If you get that shirt printed up, get one for me too!

Looks like the suction lines could use some armaflex too.

I have heard of all sorts of line crosses like this. crossed line sets, crossed electrical wiring, and crossed thermostat wiring. Apparently, the thermostat wiring was crossed and nobody realized it until one of them moved out. Guess the loads and set points were close enough LOL.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by schr8er View Post
    LMAO I love that idea!
    A people who would exchange liberty for apparent safety, will deserve neither and lose both.

Post Likes
    After all that, that is the final product..? That's what they get? Must be Apts.
    This is what you will get when Obama care covers HVAC as well.......
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Post Likes
    You have a third for the T-Shirt idea.

Post Likes
    Early in my career I ran into a similar situation on a small strip center. I was cleaning condenser coils on the slit systems. I had already done about six, so I was in the routine. Turned off the disconnect, removed the screw on the top and the controls cover, reached in to disconnect the condenser fan wiring and BAM. Let me tell you, to this day that is the worst shock I have ever received.

That was about 8 years ago. And to this day, I will always check voltage and discharge a capacitor before I touch it.

Post Likes
    Sort of looks like to me that one guy is paying for BOTH apartments. One is piggybacked

Post Likes
    I was in A/C class when the unit shut down. For the classroom. I climbed into ceiling to find WAY too many wires and disconnects. I left it to someone else, figuring I'd get zapped...Took all of five minutes for one of the other kids to fall through the ceiling, and a good 20 minutes until a guy got hit...But with 440! DAMN. Good call on my part, I'd say...You'd think the CLASSROOM CEILING would be safe...Nah, they had STUDENTS working on it after all...

Post Likes
    One trick I use is to connect hot and neutral if I have to pull power to something. This way if it goes live for any reason the breaker (should) trip. Been hit too many times not to do it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrobb View Post
    One trick I use is to connect hot and neutral if I have to pull power to something. This way if it goes live for any reason the breaker (should) trip. Been hit too many times not to do it.
    POCO trucks around here all have bumper stickers that read "It's not dead unless it's grounded."

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in