Unhappy

I am getting very frustrated with my AC system and my non-responsive contractor in Las Vegas. I keep telling them that my system is short cycling...6-9 minute run times, and they say it is normal for this new system. It cools down fine. But I have 40-50% RH indoor vs about 30-35% with old system, probably due to short run times. House is single level 1165 sqft. Outside summer temps are 100-110+ typically. It is a three ton Lennox HSX19 two-stage AC and G60V variable speed heater and blower. Thermostat is the Vision Pro 8000 (#1008 model)

Is there ANY modification or adjustment that can be made to override the short AC cycle times, and make it run for at least 30 minutes or more, preferably at low stage/speed?? I cannot seem to get a straight answer, and my contractor thinks all is right in the world. I feel the entire system, and mainly the compressor may be getting abnormal wear and eating extra energy to start up each cycle. I already know this system was probably oversized a bit....using a sqft per ton method. I will now get a Manual J calculation from two other contractors to verify my suspicions and make my case that it should have been done by them before installation. I DID ask for that Manual J, but was told during all estimates it was not required. Opinions on where I should go from here, short of legal action on this contractor? I paid big bucks for this thing. Thanks.

Ken

Would ask contractor to come back and verify running on 1st stage.

[Edited by iheatncoolinnc on 08-18-2006 at 09:32 PM]

Does sound like your stuck in high gear "high speed". Is that system zoned???

System is not zoned, and not sure how that is set up, or if it is needed in a fairly compact amount of space like my house.

I also can't tell if it is running in high or low speed, as there are no indicators. Can I tell by the fan speed??

yes, fan speed is an excellent indicator. it does sound like you r at full throttle.

My bad, didn't pay attention to the model #, at first I thought it was a single stage t-stat.

[Edited by mayguy on 08-19-2006 at 12:09 AM]

TH8320U1008 is a vision pro up to 3H & 2C. I think it might be wired wrong and/or only running wide open.
    Could turn down thermostat five or six degrees, get a chair next to the outdoor unit, have a six pack, sit outside and listen to the annoying unit run, and see if it changes speeds before it cuts off. Might need twelve.

KVR:Get a new magic stat(3200) Honeywell T stat,set it up, and then get a big pack of 24 and listen to it run about 2 - 12 minute cycles per hour.

after the 24 you wont care

my thought is that it is only set up for 1 heat 1 cool. enter the program mode and i think it is 170, if it is set at one it is wrong.

Originally posted by iheatncoolinnc
    TH8320U1008 is a vision pro up to 3H & 2C. I think it might be wired wrong and/or only running wide open.
    Could turn down thermostat five or six degrees, get a chair next to the outdoor unit, have a six pack, sit outside and listen to the annoying unit run, and see if it changes speeds before it cuts off. Might need twelve.

sit next to the indoor section, its easier to hear the speed change there.

might want to get another lennox dealer to check it out. there are adjusments and changes on furnace to set up 2 stage a/c.