Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Handler for Bryant 288ANA048000

My house is about 20,000 sq-ft in sunny Florida. My system right now is a 3 ton manufactured in 1994; the house was built in '95. I bought a new Bryant Evolution 18 Series 288ANA 4.0T 2-Stage system from an on-line dealer and plan to hire a contractor to install it for me. My question is what is the best handler to match with this system? The same dealer has a new Carrier FVM4X60. The SEER of the condenser is 18, will the choice of the handler affect that? Also will a 5 T handler be better than a 4 T or a 3.5 T. Thanks in advance for the response.

Did your "on line" dealer come to your home and do an actual manual J figure to make sure this is the proper size system. Did they also make sure your existing ductwork will handle the proper and needed amount of air flow? This sounds like the beginning of a horrible install mess if none of this was done by a competent professional. What air handler needed? Where should we begin??

And you've got a 20,000 sq. ft. home??

I got the size by multiplying my sq footage by 26 and dividing by 12000. I plan on hiring a pro to install it.

I guess I'm dense, but where in the world did you get the sq./ft. times 26 formula?

Well, the 26 is 26 BTUs. It seems that I got way over my head. I am in damaged control mode now and hope that the best pro can even out my folly with a good install.

The problem you're going to have is getting a quality professional who is not already snowed under installing equipment he has sold thru his own company. With this heat wave we'd not be at ALL interested in installing someone else's equipment! How are you going to handle "warranty" problems, as most manufacturer's do not warranty equipment sold over the internet?

This might be the only thing I got going for me. Though my system is 17 years old, it's is working OK so I can wait until the winter which is mild in Florida to get the new unit put in. The warranty will be covered by the on-line company. I got about three months to get the right handler. I was told that installation is the most important part of a system so I will make sure I get the best I can afford. Thanks.

Wahoo, sorry I had a typo in the house square footage, it's actually 2,000

dude you need to take a little time and do some research. If you already bought the equipment......you are SOL.

Equipment is matched with the house and then matched with each other ( to cover the heat load) t

This is all wrong at so many levels, it's hard to know where to start. First and foremost, you've fallen victim to the commodity syndrome. That is, you think because you can buy a commodity item on line and save a few bucks, you can do the same with a product that needs to be professionally assembled and/or installed. So your first battle is that you are attempting to take the profit out of the pocket of the company/person you now intend to ask to do the install. Does that about sum it up? I'd like to say that you're doubly screwed because no one did a proper load analysis and duct evaluation and equipment selection for both proper sizing and matching of equipment components but then again, given the difficulty many people have in finding a company that will do all that, maybe I won't even mention it. Consider it not mentioned.

I tell you what I'd do with a request such a yours. I'd look up my cost of the product (which is lower than your cost) then I'd back 2/3 of that cost out of my quote, eliminate any warranty for the equipment and quote you 20% more than my normal quote would be. In the end, if you chose my company to do the job, you'd end up paying about 25% more for the system installed, have no guarantee that it's the right system and have no warranty except for installation items. And we're very strict on what's warranted under installation because we know that the on-line store will always claim it's an installation error that has created the situation for which you're seeking warranty. So...warranty denied by the on-line supplier and warranty denied by the installing company. How's that bargain look now?
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Skippedover, thanks for the warning shots. I will be just fine. You are acting as if I don't have the right to control how and where to spend my money. You really sound like the mafia. I will have two separate companies give me an estimate and take it from there. People like you can make any profession look bad.

Beshvac, thanks for the reply. I am in the process of doing just that. I have pinpointed the handler that I want: carrier FE4ANB006 to go with controller SYSTXBBUID01−A. Good thing I live in Florida and my current system is still kicking. I am not trying to be cheap but I want to have control of what I buy for my house. If it takes me a year to find someone capable to install it for me then so be it. I have no urgency, thank God.

you are NOT seeing the the big picture.......

Yes you can get your purchases installed......

If you called me out to quote installing your stuff....
    1. I am not going to come out.
    2. I do a load calculation and determine what i will put in and give you the sizes.
    3. I will evaluate your duct and determine if the right size will work.

What was said before is correct...you have no warranty on the equipment and if you follow their procedures:

1. You will pay entirely for the repair at time of service.
    2. It's up to you to get reimbursed by the online retailer. Good f-in luck!
    3, That particular unit takes a really sharp contractor to install and not have "system stagedown errors" Good luck finding a bubba to even know how to program the controller.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast