I was hoping to hear some opinons on what is going on with my ac unit.
    I had the ac repaired under a Old Republic Home Warranty claim.
    I have a Bryant 663cj048-b condenser, I assume I had the compatable inside unit.
    I had a leaking a coil. Old Rep said I needed to replace the inside unit to be compatable with the new 13 seer rating. The ac guy did that and used an American Standard inside unit(a coil, heater whole new unit) saying I needed that to comply with the new rules. He said it was the lower end of there line up and was a 4/5 ton unit. He said that was necesssary to meeet the new 13 seer rating.
    It is not working very well now that it is replaced. It seems to run all day and can't keep it below 79 during the day, it never did that before.
    I looked up my condenser and it is a 13 seer, I couldn't figure out what size it was but I seem to remember when I bought the house someone told me it was a 3 ton. I assume the inside unit was a match to it but it was hauled off when the new one was put in.
    I was just wondering if I had a miss matched set up now or, if it maybe just needs to be tweeked by the ac guy to work properly?
    Thanks Randy

give us the model # off of the new air handler. we can go from there. if the new air handler has a txv it should work as long as as it is charged properly.
    Keep in mind these home warranties are not all they apear to be. its often better to take what they will give for an allowance & have a reputable contractor install a system.
    The Captain.

Thanks for the reply, I will get the number's off the inside unit when I get home and post it here later this evening.
    Randy

I got the info off of the air handler,
    It is made by Goodman Manufacturing in Houston.
    The model number is ARUF48601BA
    Thanks Randy

Bryant uses TXVs on their indoor coils when you get to 12 SEER like the 663. I would think the ARUF would be pretty close match if an expansion valve were added. If not, I would expect you'll be below 12 SEER.

Is there a certain area that I can look at to tell if there is an expansion valve on it?
    Thanks Randy

It could be inside the indoor cabinet, but if they added it in the field like they should have it may be on the outside connected to the copper lines and look similar to this:

I don't see an expansion valve.
    I am at a loss to what this exactly means for my a/c unit.
    Is this going to lead to any problems down the road or is it just a loss in efficiency?
    Thanks Randy

Not having the TXV just means a loss of efficiency. Means the unit capable of 12 SEER may only be delivering 11 SEER. Doesn't affect life of the system.

the simple answer is you dont have a SEER rating, a bryant outdoor unit does not match a goodman indoor coil. That may be why you have a capcity loss.

I don't understand why they put a different brand of air handler in there.
    Is it not possible for someone who is not a Bryant dealer to buy Bryant parts?
    Thanks Randy