Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by netsalt View Post
    A weapon in the hands of someone in that theater other than the shooter would have caused more panic and would have been very unlikely to stop him - he was wearing armor in the dark with the smoke from a smoke bomb surrounding him. You would have to have the skills of a Seal to have done something about it - not many of us are that good. With that said I don't think this incident should be about gun control since he did purchase the stuff legally.
    as painful as it is, I have to agree with salty here.

Inside a dark theater, with smoke and people running all over and taking cover, even a trained SEAL team or SWAT member would have a very difficult time trying to figure out exactly who the shooter is and where he is.

On top of that, lets say a Legally armed citizen decides to return fire.....now who is the active shooter in a dark theater. Even if a Legally armed citizen takes out the bad guy its a good bet the legally armed citizen (LAC) is going to be arrested (roughly) until someone figures out who did what.

Taking out a BG in an active fire zone with hundreds of people around is a tricky thing. WHEN the cops show up they may just think YOUR the BG. Im sure there apology will be sincere, but you'll be just as dead as the BG.
    The Last four letters

American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats

any questions

Quote Originally Posted by dijit View Post
    Private businesses can ban you from carrying in firearms whether or not there is a concealed carry law. I wonder if this theater banned people from carrying.
    from what I have read, this theater did ban weapons. So this nut case picked a safe place <for him> to kill people. If everyone obeyed the law, he would not need the body armor.
    The Last four letters

any questions

This despicable and premeditated heinous act of a total coward acting out some fantasy to fulfill a neurological disorder is a prime reason for enacting capital punishment for a capital crime.

To the innocent victims and more important the family members who have lost loved ones,may their pain be not forgot even so remembered for many years to come.
    FEN

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Training my friend!

I shoot 'live' courses at least monthly (sometimes weekly), and I shoot stationary targets at least weekly just for skill. Whether I would have taken out the perp is a question of whether it was safe for everyone... One of the things in training is to evaluate collateral damage (which includes injury to innocents).

Folks who train regularly know these things...
    Quote Originally Posted by barbar View Post
    Even though I do not personally believe their should be no need to carry a gun, I think those who do legally, should undertake regular training in both use and application.
    Like an advanced driver, who can control his car better, very rarely needs to use his skills, as he able to judge the situation (due to training), way before the skill is required.
    You and I are very much on the same page here... the concept is IMO the same with driving, shooting, self protection, flying a small plane (I have the credentials), and a host of other things.

EXPERIENCE, along with training, is the key to making wise decisions in an area.

Ya know... maybe we need to elect folks with experience as well as training, to run the govt... And since govt is a LARGE business of sorts (handles lots of programs and $$$)... then IMO it makes sense to elect folks with traceable and successful business experience.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Sign? what sign?...I didn't see any sign!

And if some idiot stepped in front of a crowded theatre dressed like SWAT, you better believe I would have both eyeballs on him. His head aint armored, and if I can knock down bowling pins at 100 yards with my 9mm, I certainly could make his melon explode. It would also be very easy to see my laser dot him.

In this day and age, with somebody dressed like that and lobbing tear gas...aint no jury in the world that will convict you after putting this threat down.
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

Quote Originally Posted by dijit View Post
    Private businesses can ban you from carrying in firearms whether or not there is a concealed carry law. I wonder if this theater banned people from carrying.
    As I understand it, This theater has a corporate policy against firearms on the premises, and was posted as such.

A couple more things:

1) as this was a midnight showing, the crowd was mostly much younger, thus minimizing the chance of a CCW, although there were 4 members of the military in the theater.

2) he was reported to have some type of head protection.

3) he dispersed one or two gas canisters that caused breathing difficulty

those things and others would have made for a difficult shooting environment.

I'm thinking that you would have needed to be in the first few rows of seating to be able to get any kind of chance to get this guy, gun or no gun. As he was a former doctoral candidate with time to plan this out I'm sure he was aware of that to. I bet many of the killed and wounded would be in the lower section of the theater.

As another possibility, somebody that was higher up in the theater but seated off to the side might have had a decent shot, IDK. I can just see the pandemonium after people started running from the shooting.

I should say that I've never been to that theater so I don't know the layout, but most all venues here have stadium seating of one design or another. some time in the future I may go to that theater to find out and pay homage to those lost.

This is a sad time for Colorado.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Quote Originally Posted by barbar View Post
    You do not know me well enough to determine if my sympathy is fake.

By all means question my ideology, but you are of such small stature that you can not question my integrity.

So what your are saying the 9mm ticked low, gives you a sense of security and sense of superiority, and you are the one who thinks legalized drugs is bad idea!

You have clearly shown on this site, that you have temper, and that you do not suffer fools, it ones like you, help confirm my thoughts that carry guns should be limited.

I hope you can keep your PMT under control.

Sorry BarBar.

I didn't mean to question your integrity but the amount of sympathy anyone can have for these people is limited.

We may sincerely feel sorry for them and their families and offer condolences but unless you're acquainted or know them personally any emotive description of concern via internet is insincere.

In America liberals will take a situation like this and use it to promote a cause by trying to identify the assailant with the opposing political party.

ABC news's Brian Ross did it right off the bat saying the shooter was a 55 year old Tea Party member.

They did it with the attempted Times Square bombing, they did it with the Arizona shooting of Gabby Gifffords, they did it to Zimmerman calling him ( White-Hispanic and editing the 911 tapes) and they did it here.

They lie, misrepresent and conceal facts and could care less about the families and the victims. This is the mindset of the liberal agenda in this Country. The end justifies the means.

Its exactly how our President thinks and conducts himself. There isn't one conscious thought, one fleeting moment of consideration or a micro-second of self doubt because somewhere in their twisted head they know what they're doing is wrong.

They just act on whats good for them at that time. It's a selfish thought process.

It's where we've ended up as a society because people have learned to cherry pick ethically and apply selectively their sense of morality.

Truth is just a small hurdle and integrity is just a word to millions of Americans who haven't learned the value of humility and probably never will.

It's whats going to ruin this Country and turn us into a mediocre Western European style society as institutions like the Family unit and Faith are attacked by sick minded people.

The consensus among the fringe elements in this Country is blurring distinct line that separates right and wrong, good and evil and innocence and guilt is the way to accomplish a guilt free existence.

That "evil" is a concept constructed by a man in a black robe to control the masses. If anything should open their eyes to the reality that evil exist it's what happened yesterday morning in Colorado.
    Last edited by Six; 07-21-2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: cause' I like to party....

ooh the anti-gunners are all over this. Especially Mikey LOONberg,

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/Colo...mo_code=F87E-1

everyone of these dip are saying it's the guns fault. One dumbass is saying the Colorado shooting "Is blood on the hands of the NRA"

I don't know who is more psychotic, the shooter or Bloomberg.

I wonder if this would have happen if the law was *everyone must carry a weapon*
    The Last four letters

any questions

FINALLY, the voice of reason:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/20/opinio....html?on.cnn=1

from CNN, no less
    The Last four letters

any questions

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Sign? what sign?...I didn't see any sign!

And if some idiot stepped in front of a crowded theatre dressed like SWAT, you better believe I would have both eyeballs on him. His head aint armored, and if I can knock down bowling pins at 100 yards with my 9mm, I certainly could make his melon explode. It would also be very easy to see my laser dot him.

In this day and age, with somebody dressed like that and lobbing tear gas...aint no jury in the world that will convict you after putting this threat down.
    In principle I agree; a jury (even gun haters) would rule 'not guilty'... UNLESS; you maimed or killed someone on the other side of the perp.

Collateral damage is the BIG issue when using deadly force in public (or for that matter in your home... as shells tend to go into the next house). Making a decision quickly as to whether it is safe to take out the perp in a crowd... well IMO that is the big decision. The skill to take him out is just doing it... the decision is the BIG thing.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Warning signs

They're looking for warning signs. Seriously. The guy bought a semi automatic rifle, 3000 rounds. 2 glocks with 3000 rounds, and a shotgun within a month. He also bought a bullet proof vest and other tactical gear and had it shipped overnight. How this did not send up red flags with the ATF and FBI is beyond me.

I have to sign a list and show I.D. when I want to buy sudaphed. And if I buy too much, the police are notified.

Warning signs? The police, FBI and ATF had plenty.
    Discipline your child so that other parents don't have to.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    They're looking for warning signs. Seriously. The guy bought a semi automatic rifle, 3000 rounds. 2 glocks with 3000 rounds, and a shotgun within a month. He also bought a bullet proof vest and other tactical gear and had it shipped overnight. How this did not send up red flags with the ATF and FBI is beyond me.

I have to sign a list and show I.D. when I want to buy sudaphed. And if I buy too much, the police are notified.

Warning signs? The police, FBI and ATF had plenty.
    I do not want the feds tracking my ammunition purchases, or those of my neighbors.

If you have to submit ID for aspirin, that is insane.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    If this guy’s gun did not kill those people, what did? How would he have killed that many people if he did not have a gun?

I am in no way espousing making guns illegal but guns DO making killing too easy. The simple truth of it is that we have to take the bad with the good with guns.

Saying guns don’t kill is like saying bombs don’t kill.

Way more people get killed in or with automobiles. Lets take autos away from the people.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast