Compressor Application

Been doing battle with an old Kyser Warren Deli Sandwich display cooler (M/N: DS61-6) with C.U. on roof. I did a search on the current compressor being used (Tecumseh AWG5520EXT) and came up with some info I'd like clarified.

According to the M/N, this compressor is under the application of "Air Conditioning +45 deg." Just so happens there are two more applications listed for +45 deg, but designated as "High" temp. Two questions...

What's the difference between +45 high temp and +45 air conditioning applications?

...And, is this compressor not best suited for a medium temp sandwich cooler where box temps would be expected to hover around 35 degrees?

The AWG5520EXT is an R-22 commercial refrigeration compressor with an operating envelope down to 20F evaporating temperature. Don't confuse rating point with operating envelope. It can freeze your sandwiches if you wish.
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail. Abraham Maslow

I did a search for Kysor Warren which took me to Heatcraft. New one on me, I didn't know Heatcraft owned them. There is a historical documents section which contains an IOM for D6S1 which is probably what you have. It is in fact an R-22 system, uses an FBVE1C TXV , it has the sensing bulb in the discharge air and calls for more defrosts per day than I would have guessed. The manual should help you.

Hmm...maybe I'm getting my info wrong. But when i google tecumseh compressor model number codes, a link for "tecumseh to tecumseh" pdf shows up. According to the chart, the first "5" in my m/n designates my compressor as a/c and +45 degrees.

I went to Tecumseh's website, clicked on library. Then I selected product search and entered the compressor model #. A product desription page came up. To the right you'll see links for technical data sheet and perfromance data sheet. Download both of those. You'll see that the compressor is RATED for 20,000btuh at 45F evap and 130F condensor. However, if you look over the performance data sheet, you'll see that the compressor can be used for other applications. For example, at 20F evaporator and 120F condesning, the compressor will do 11,300 btuh. So even though the compressor is listed as a HBP compressor, it can be used for other applications if properly selected. A very common application is AE4440 compressors on commercial 2 door reach in refrigerators. They are rated for 4000 btuh on HBP. At a 20f evaporator, they'll do about 2000 btuh. I hope this clears up as little confusion.

It does. That's all i needed to know, thank you.