furnace replacement what to look for?

We are participating in an energy program in Alaska. We have a york p3u diamond 90 furnace that doesn't keep our house comfortable in the winter, basement is very cold and it runs on a high speed that is loud.
    We want something energy efficient and not loud. the unit is only 6 years old but our gas bill is running 3-400 a month in the winter.

I would love any suggestions. I don't see anyone listed on the forum in AK to hire.
    This will be a large investment and I want to have it done right.

Sincerely
    Kelli

Quote Originally Posted by kelliSean View Post
    We are participating in an energy program in Alaska. We have a york p3u diamond 90 furnace that doesn't keep our house comfortable in the winter, basement is very cold and it runs on a high speed that is loud.
    We want something energy efficient and not loud. the unit is only 6 years old but our gas bill is running 3-400 a month in the winter.

I would love any suggestions. I don't see anyone listed on the forum in AK to hire.

Sincerely
    Kelli
    Several questions come to mind; what size furnace,natural or propane, general size and condition of house, was the airflow in cfm determined,and was it set up with a combustion analyzer?

Quote Originally Posted by kelliSean View Post

Sincerely
    Kelli
    90% AFUE furnace is already better than the standard 80%, you have a pretty efficient furnace. Instead of replacing your furnace, maybe see if you can improve the house. Like secondopinion mentioned, what is the condition of the house? Do you have a leaky house? Do you have leak ducts? where is your furnace located? What kind of windows and insulation are there? Do you have heat recovery ventilators? etc...
    You can call me Sam

It should be a crime to be a mechanical engineer in San Diego
    Summer Design Temperature: 83 F Dry Bulb ~ 69 F Wet Bulb (California Climate Zone 7)

A $400 gas bill tells me the house needs to be fixed.

I agree with looking at improving the house envelope/insulation. This will get you the biggest bang for your buck. Secondly, I would have the duct system evaluated. The best furnace in the world will do you no good with a poor delivery system. In my experience, about 75% of the duct systems I see are either undersized or poorly designed/installed.
    Where are you? Are you done yet? I got ONE more call for you.....