Oil cooler

Thread: Oil cooler

Oil cooler

Have a r22 low temp rack with oil cooler on each compressor. What is the minimum oil temp allowed

minimum oil temp allowed? Not really anything I ever thought of usually with low temp R22 racks oil problems are related to oil getting TOO HOT and not to cold. What kind of problems are you having?

Try This

There is alot of good info, go to AE Bulletins.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyb View Post
    Have a r22 low temp rack with oil cooler on each compressor. What is the minimum oil temp allowed
    What kind of compressors do you have?

Since you say each compressor has its own oil cooler, I'm thinking you have Copeland's and you are talking about the oil cooler that sits on top of each compressor and the body cooling fan blows down on it?

If that's the case, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Now if you have a screw compressor rack with some sort of oil mixing valve or mechanical oil cooler, this is another story, and why it's important you tell us what kind of compressors you have.

Also, what kind of oil do you have? the colder oil is, the thicker it gets & more resistant to flow. So that's important too.

Mineral oil begins to break down at 300F.

The oil sump temperature isn't as important as the discharge line temperature.

Oil breakdown, if it is happening, is probably happening in the cylinders.

Not this cooler!
    I have a exchanger plate. No thermostat to control temp and the oil is at 60f.
    AB oil

And its 4D copeland

Well, if you wanted to control oil temperature. I would cycle off the cooler with a thermostat on the oil line leaving the exchanger and set it for a 100* minimum exiting oil temperature. 100* will maintain rated viscosity. This is MUCH more important on screw compressors.

As JP mentions, AB oil flashes to a vapor around 310*, so more importantly, make sure your Compressor discharge line is operating below 225*. The internal cylinder walls operate typically 75* above discharge line temperature.