Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have an ICF house with foam insulation in the attic. Installed a Trane XL16 5 ton 410a unit in Nov 2004. Summer 2005 expansion valve failed and compressor would not go into second stage. Both were replaced. Summer 2006, again compressor would not go into second stage. Compressor on order. I am quickly loosing confidence in this Trane system. Do I just have a lemon? Or is this a more wide spread problem? I have a variable speed air handler; can I upgrade to a XL19 and just replace the outside unit?

Compressor won't go into 2nd stage? They say why it didn't? was the compressor itself burnt out or what was wrongn with it?

The technician took off the cover, removed the fan, disconnected a two wire black plug, located about in the middle of the compressor, Ohm-ed across the two conectors, and it showed open. hope that helps

Sorry forgot to mention that the unit is working fine in stage 1

my 16i works great no issues must be something wrong with the install causing these eharaches and you could upgrade to 19i easily

to go to 19i would need new txv inside and need to fluch lines and a-coil for the switch back to r22

Smile

yes you can just replace the outdoor unit if you have variable speed air handler as long as you keep it on the same capacity. The trick the R410a units is that the charge must be right on the money,air flow is there too the static press. on the duct system is under .50 in wc. I prefer to keep the static pressure at 10 in. so that when the filter start to get little dirty you dont lose the efficency of the unit. also when installing a new outdoor unit use a micron gauge to see how low you pulling a vaccume its like a rule of thum. Evacuate to 500 microns or lower 450 its the lowes I always go and let the pressure ecualize on the micron gauge. Observe make sure that it doent go pass 1000 microns if it stays at 1000 microns you need to triple evacuate you have moisture in sys. I it continues to raise check for a leak. As long as you do this you should never have any problems with your compressor. Dont forget to run an acid test if you going to change Your compressor again.
    You just never know you might have a little acid in the system that might be what it causing this compresor from going bad. I dont know if you allready knew this but it always good to go back to the basics sometimes it help. Good luck

I'm betting a poor install...

I bet the same, and someone may have forgotten to set up the thermostat properly.
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."

I AM THE LOCAL TRANE DEALER IN MY AREA. WE INSTALLED OUR FIRST 16 SEER SPLIT APPROX 3 YEARS AGO. BASICALLY HAD SAME PROBLEM ON START UP, FOUND THERMOSTAT NOT SET UP CORRECTLY. ALSO TO SET THERMOSTAT TO TWO STAGE COOLING YOU WILL NOT FIND THIS IN THE THERMOSTAT GUIDE. CALL TECH SUPPORT FOR PROPER INSTRUCTIONS.

Originally posted by calmat
    I AM THE

Turn your cap lock off.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by calmat
    I AM THE LOCAL TRANE DEALER IN MY AREA. WE INSTALLED OUR FIRST 16 SEER SPLIT APPROX 3 YEARS AGO. BASICALLY HAD SAME PROBLEM ON START UP, FOUND THERMOSTAT NOT SET UP CORRECTLY. ALSO TO SET THERMOSTAT TO TWO STAGE COOLING YOU WILL NOT FIND THIS IN THE THERMOSTAT GUIDE. CALL TECH SUPPORT FOR PROPER INSTRUCTIONS.
    Well, you could call tech support, or you could just open the installation instructions that come with the thermostat and read the part about the installation setup options...
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Ahh, the lights flash and the bells ring...DING DING.
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast