Will mo99 replace 410a?

I'll preface with - I just barely know enough about refrigeration to be dangerous. The 608 card is all show and no go. I don't own gauges, and hope to never touch them again. Thinking about superheat and subcooling, that it comes so naturally to refer guys, gets my head spinning.

That said, the ENERGY side interests me a lot and I think I CAN get my head around that, so...

Doesn't lower pressure offer a slew of benefits, including easier serviceability and more efficient compressor operation?

If R-22 systems run lower pressures, and now mo99 can replace r-22, does this make the shift to 410a obsolete?

Will they start designing high efficiency equipment around mo99?
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Pressure isn't as important as compression ratio when it comes to compressor efficiency.

The compression ratio isn't any different between R-22, R410a and, I'll assume, MO99.

There are other factors, but that's one.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Pressure isn't as important as compression ratio when it comes to compressor efficiency.

The compression ratio isn't any different between R-22, R410a and, I'll assume, MO99.
    At the same saturated temperatures, R410a has a slightly lower compression ratio than R22, so is a slightly more efficient refrigerant.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I have done both a NU-22 and MO99 retrofit to new dry 22 systems, I thought it was fairly simple and favor it more than 410a, this summer I've done 50 coil replacements, only 1 of which was on a 22 system, only due to a hole in the cap tube on this homeowners system I didn't feel comfortable soldering the hole in the cap tube and guarentee it working. Too many 410 coils leaking, mostly of them being superiors though. I feel like R-22 and its retrofit counterparts are much better for the systems than 410 is.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    At the same saturated temperatures, R410a has a slightly lower compression ratio than R22, so is a slightly more efficient refrigerant.
    Well, spank me and call me Charlie.

I stand corrected.

Thanks guys!

So does the efficiency gain justify the maintenance risk? (of course this is probably leaving factual and moving to arbitrary/intuition/opinion, so probably no "right" answer but I'm sure the positions will be interesting.)
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

I still think we should go back to R-209.

If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.