Thread: Need some advice for new Gas Boiler

Post Likes

Smile

Hi there.

I have a 1960 Thermoderm natural gas boiler, it's a 220k BTU unit for a 2000sq ft house. As you could imagine, it's very inefficient for such a big size boiler, with natural gas price skyrocket these days, I'm paying $600+ per month in the winter time.

That being said, I'm thinking to replace it with a smaller size boiler, maybe around 130k btu or so.

Can someone give some advice on what brand name or type of boiler I should go with? I was thinking to get a Weil McClain CGi. Should I get an induced draft type? what major benefit does that bring? I'm more concern on the noise the inducer motor bring.

Thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    First thing you should do is heat loss calculations to determine the proper size. Have an experienced contractor do this and recomend the proper size for your home and conditions.

[Edited by comfortdoc on 08-17-2006 at 08:09 PM]

Post Likes
    Load Calculation first.

If you are going to Weil Mclain CGI, you are not to far cost wise, from a Ultra. Quiet, high efficiency, modulating. Depending on what type of radiation you have, it might be the way to go.

Post Likes
    As stated above - get or do your own heat loss calc (if hot water)or figure your total EDR (if steam)before you do anything else. Then get bids from contractors with good references and come back here if you need any other advise. As mentioned, you may be a good candidate for a condensing boiler - and you would probably be eligible for utility and tax man incentives. Good luck

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in