Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question in Iraq, help! ... A/C pump down?

Hello,
    I'm currently in Iraq and trying to recover several small, split-system room A/Cs from a combat outpost we're closing down so we can take them with us to the next place. I've researched the subject to the best of my abilities on the internet and probably know just enough to be dangerous and screw it up. I know I need to hook up a pressure gauge to the service port on the low pressure side, close the narrow tube service valve and let the A/C run in cooling mode until the pressure reaches 14.2 - 7.1 psi. The problem is...I don't have a pressure gauge. I read something about some A/Cs having a low pressure switch that will shut off the A/C once it gets to 7.1 psi. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can do this without the pressure gauge? These A/Cs are coming with us, whether they work or not, though I would obviously prefer to be able to take them with enough refrigerant to make 'em blow cold air again (it tends to get a bit warm here).

Thanks for the help.

Re: in Iraq, help! ... A/C pump down?

..and you have no reclaim/recovery equipment at hand? the mod's no doubt can verify the IP address you're posting from and perhaps comment via email

You have no way to know what the pressure is without the guages. After you setup at the new place you then need a way to evacuate the system. It will quickly fail if not setup properly.

There are no engineers you can bring in to take care of this? How did they get setup to begin with?

This could be dangerous without gauges to say the least. Without gauges and training even more so. Need to find qualified person with tools to do the job safely.

We set them up ourselves; it was pretty easy. The installation instructions with the units had directions to bleed the air out of the systems by opening the wide tube service valve for a set time, closing it, and then depressing the pin in the schrader valve on the narrow tube service port to release the air in the lines. I know there are much tighter regulations on all this in the states but these were locally purchased middle-eastern units with directions made for a the purchaser/user to set it up on his own. That being the case, these aren't technically regular Army AC's, so there is no technical manuals or real official support for them...and given the small numbers and remote location I'm dealing with, there will be no engineer support. I understand why some may be skeptical or unwilling to help because of local regulations or liability...I was just wondering if there was something reasonable I hadn't come across of it there was another solution.

I'm not sure what the comment about verifying my IP address was about...but go ahead, you'll find it's in Germany, the land-link for the satellite internet connection we're using.

I'm not sure what the comment about verifying my IP address was about...but go ahead, you'll find it's in Germany, the land-link for the satellite internet connection we're using.
    Because the site rules states that we do not give step by step directions to people not registered as "Professional Members"...

We get alot of homeowners in this section, and some HVAC stuff involves high voltages, combustible gas and Oil, Refrigerants that can hurt,maim, and kill someone who has no clue of the dangers of working with those things. Last thing we need is a letter from some lawer suing for giving "bad" advise to someone poking around where they should not have been.

We just like to CYA, you know?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by oloenneker
    We just like to CYA, you know?
    I completely understand and that is totally fine with me. I would probably do/say the same thing.

I appreciate the dangers involved with this stuff (even though it's not necessarily on the top of my list of worries at the moment) and figured there was no harm in just asking to see where I would get...

I probably read into it the wrong way but the IP thing almost sounded like a threat for some reason.

You might want to email directly from your AKO email. There have been people before who've lied about being in the military to try to get around the "no DIY" rules; because of that and worries about someone else reading the instructions and getting hurt they're definitely not going to help in a public forum post. Over email from an obvious military address, maybe that would be better.

You'll probably be better off taking them along and then having someone local come by and blow them out / charge them back up with Freon at your next location. (Iraq is not exactly signatory to the Montreal Protocol.. they're still using the old pre-EPA methods locally.)

Hopefully one of the pros here will be willing to give you some instructions for more safely (or less dangerously) preparing them to be moved, over email to a .mil address. Cutting the lines to move them could be VERY dangerous if done wrong, I'll leave it at that.

Thanks for the advice and it's very unfortunate that people would lie about being the military to get around the rules. If anyone can help and would feel more comfortable dealing directly over e-mail to a .mil address, you can reach me at jon.dreher at us dot army dot mil.

Any techniques or safety tips would be appreciated.

Why doesn't the Army Corp of Engineers take care of this for you?
    They have staff in the HVAC field. They could pump the systems down, seal them, and hook them back up for you also at your next location.

Kevin, I understand that you're new here, but you should have read the site rules "No DIY questions here". We all realize that you want to show off all of the vast knowledge that you have, so why don't you make the required amount of posts and apply for Pro Membership?
    Have you hugged the Earth today?
    Donny Baker rules

Post deleted by Admin.
    Last edited by Admin; 10-13-2007 at 07:18 PM. Reason: quote of deleted post

Some units have "Break-away" valves, once you open them, they will not close.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast