Thread: Short cycles?

I was just wondering if someone could let me know what a good average cycle time sould be for a new ac unit. I kept trak almost all day and in the morning through about 1 my ac ran for ten minutes and stopped for ten minutes like clockwork. Then this afternoon it started again. I live in Southeast Missouri and it only got in the mid to high 80's today with moderate humidity. The guy who installed my new ac unit said that new units wont run all day like older ones, but shouldn't it run for longer than that? My house also gets very cold while the air is running, almost unbearable to me.

One doesn't have to be as smart as some of these gentlemen who regurarly post on this forum to suggest that you might be a bit oversized. 10 min on and 10 off though, could be a function of a particular setting on your thermistat. Mine has a setting called cool to dehumidify and has a separated set point (independant from temp set point) that works on a cycle of max 10 min on and 10 min off. This 10 and 10 cycle accomplishes one important thing #1 keeps system from overcooling the home. Soemthing else comes into play too, most AC today have compressor cycle time guard that keeps compressor from starting at least 15 minutes from after the last cycle. It's function is to assure the equipment is not cycles more then 4 times per hours. So as you can see, there are a number of things that could come into play. Hope this helps.

Thorton