Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    IF the compressor is already locked-up & it needs a start kit, I would just replace the compressor since it's under warranty.

Of course, if you woulda bought an Amana or York they would just replace the entire condenser if the compressor is indeed bad, but I guess you gotta Trane....

Shoulda, woulda, coulda, I guess....
    WHY?

Here's what ya posted on another site 5 days ago........

"My outdoor unit compressor isn't coming on and the last thing I can think of to try is a hard start kit before calling a tech. I'm curious if it matters what type to get. I've heard of 5-2-1 kits, but don't know exactly what that means. Does my unit's specs matter in what I get? If anyone has a recommendation on a specific type or what I need to figure out first, please let me know. Any help is greatly appeciated. Thanks! "

Just like Paul Harvey...."Now ya know the rest of the story"

Jeez, you don't even know if the compressor is bad!
    Last edited by beshvac; 07-18-2012 at 05:09 PM.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

Yup, and my friend told me to have his friend look at it. And I'm still where I was before I called him. To be honest I did troubleshoot and replace the capacitor myself. Now I'm having him worry about it. I didn't want to say I did it because it said no diy help, but that's already done and now I'm not doing it myself because I'm afraid to damage it. If I was being super secretive I would have at least come up with a new name.

Quote Originally Posted by mikegp View Post
    Yup, and my friend told me to have his friend look at it. And I'm still where I was before I called him. To be honest I did troubleshoot and replace the capacitor myself. Now I'm having him worry about it. I didn't want to say I did it because it said no diy help, but that's already done and now I'm not doing it myself because I'm afraid to damage it. If I was being super secretive I would have at least come up with a new name.
    Ya probably will come up with a new name next time.....

If you would have paid a few bucks to get a proper diagnosis maybe you would have cooling now....

Wasn't the cap was it?

I think there was some statistic somewhere that compressor manufacturers were getting a large percentage of perfectly good compressors back on warranty.....
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

Well jeezzzz, whatever you do, DON'T call an actual HVAC company, and get a professional to look at this. Evidently the heat is not bothering you as much as worrying about paying an actual company tech. and not a "buddy of a buddy". Sadly.... sometimes (well actually most times) we get what we pay for. We want cheap, and usually get it. But hey, look on the bright side, if you put in enough new parts sooner or later (usually much later) you'll have A WHOLE NEW UNIT!!!! What was it Johnny Cash said...."I got a new car.. one piece at a time"?

I'm not in a huge hurry since the upstairs unit ends up cooling downstairs. We don't really use this one often. I did have a leak the first year in this house and they put a sealer in the system without asking me. You think that could have damaged the compressor over time?

I'm not in a huge hurry since the upstairs unit ends up cooling downstairs. We don't really use this one often. I did have a leak the first year in this house and they put a sealer in the system without asking me. You think that could have damaged the compressor over time?
    YES

There's no way for me to prove this though is there? Doubt they'll care if I just call them up and say they put sealer in my system and now the comp won't start.

You should call somebody that knows somthing about american standard or trane to come andfind the problem and fix it as the unit is still under a part warranty, most decent techs would have tried a start kit as part of there diagnostic

Ditto....Cat

That sealer they put in may void your warrantee.

Guess it does work though, sealed that compressor right up.

Might be time for a whole new system now.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

Do they inspect the damaged compressor after a warranty claim? Will that show up?

Do they inspect the damaged compressor after a warranty claim? Will that show up?
    Sometimes they do want you to send them back to be find out what went wrong so they can correct it. Most of the times (at least lately) they do not. But I doubt that even if you did send it back that they would reject the warrantee claim. Although there is always that chance. But pretty unlikely.

When you replace the compressor, I would recommend that a complete system flush be done to remove any remaining sealer in the system prior to the installation of the new compressor. And make sure that the leak is found and a real good vacuum is pulled prior to re-charging.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast