Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Yes, the 5 2 1 is the best choice for a hard start kit.

Like your tech stated this may or may not start the compressor.
    Glad to see your advice is absedon knowkedge instead of marketing hype, the best option is the proper potential relay and start cap based on co continious coil voltage and start amps.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    Glad to see your advice is absedon knowkedge instead of marketing hype, the best option is the proper potential relay and start cap based on co continious coil voltage and start amps.
    What does "absedon knowkedge" mean?

Then why do some equipment manufacturers specify the 521 as the correct hard start kit? I install many of them on a wide range of compressor brands and have yet to find a bad compressor with a 5-2-1. I can't say the same of the 2 wire start kits.

Some of us use our knowledge and skills to make equipment work better, and others have to go running to the manufacturer for everything they don't fully understand.

The "best option" isn't always available, some of us don't have the luxury of a supply house around the corner. (there is only one in my service area and they don't carry anything non-goodman.)

Yes, the 5 2 1 is the best choice for a hard start kit.

Like your tech stated this may or may not start the compressor.
    I will re-phrase that.

"The 5-2-1 is the best practical means of trying to start a stuck compressor."

No real tech is going to special order a potential relay for fear of damaging a stuck compressor!! He is going to throw on a 5-2-1 and if that doesn't start it he'll order a new comp along with new starting components.

Some of these armchair techs that always demand OEM parts must be slightly out of touch with what it's like running service calls.

I for one am absolutely tired of the Hacks and Home Owners that come here for help.

Mr. HO if you keep reading you'll find some other "tricks" (of the trade) we use to start a compressor. As many have already figured out, if you'd called a Professional he'd have the parts, tools and knowledge to solve your problem. Use Google or your local phone book to find one. (Hopefully he won't figure out you've already been Dicking with it and charge you more.)
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

What does "absedon knowkedge" mean?

Then why do some equipment manufacturers specify the 521 as the correct hard start kit? I install many of them on a wide range of compressor brands and have yet to find a bad compressor with a 5-2-1. I can't say the same of the 2 wire start kits.

Some of us use our knowledge and skills to make equipment work better, and others have to go running to the manufacturer for everything they don't fully understand.

The "best option" isn't always available, some of us don't have the luxury of a supply house around the corner. (there is only one in my service area and they don't carry anything non-goodman.)
    That should have read based on.

A 5-2-1 is a decent option and I did carry one on my truck and it is infinitely better than a two Booster I will give you that. The problem I had with your statement was that it was the best which categorically it is not. I have always carried about seven different potential relays and a dozen start caps. And know you do not need to call the manufacturer to find out the proper relay just skills and the proper tools. You can buy a good relay kit from Mars that will cover most compressors and the proper cap is determined on site through trial and error and it depends on the condition of the compressor.

Scroll compressors should never need a start kit even with a non bleed TEV, in most instances if it needs one there is another issue with the system (overcharge, undercharge low voltage or loose wire) or the compressor is failing and needs to be replaced; most likely due to on of the aforementioned problems.

Just so you know I have been in the field ten years longer than you have been alive.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    That should have read based on.

A 5-2-1 is a decent option and I did carry one on my truck and it is infinitely better than a two Booster I will give you that. The problem I had with your statement was that it was the best which categorically it is not.
    I posted that a 5-2-1 was best in the context of post 1, which was getting a stuck compressor loose. I didn't say it was best for a permanent solution.

But if you are cherry-picking my post looking for an argument, I can play that game too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123