Which hard start cap to get?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which hard start cap to get?

My compressor locked up according to my tech and he said he could add a hard start kit and that it works 75% of the time. He already replaced the regular cap and that didn't help. I feel like he should have known if it was the cap or not before swapping it out, but what do I know. Figured he could test it with his meters for ohms or farrads. I'm ok with him trying it, but I'm curious which one to use? He said I could order it myself if I want, so he's not trying to get a markup on the part itself. I have 3 ton unit I believe.

Model number is:

American Standard/Trane - 2A7B3036A1000AA

He recommended a 5-2-1 unit found here:

http://www.amazon.com/Compressor-Sav...pr_product_top

Reading reviews I see this:

"This kit is great for any type compressor (scroll or reciprocating). Easy to install & will not harm compressor windings because of the lower capacitor rating (88-108uf). (If you need a Hard Start kit to try to free a stuck compressor you will need a kit with a much higher uf rating.)"

So since my compressor is supposedly stuck, would I want something with a higher uf rating? He said higher uf could damage it in the long run. I know nothing about this and kind of trust him, but figure pros on this site would know better than I would. Thanks for any help.

Yes, the 5 2 1 is the best choice for a hard start kit.

Like your tech stated this may or may not start the compressor.

Thanks. So I should ignore this:

"If you need a Hard Start kit to try to free a stuck compressor you will need a kit with a much higher uf rating"?

I just don't want to have to try another one after. He said if this doesn't work, then it's new compressor time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikegp View Post
    Thanks. So I should ignore this:

"If you need a Hard Start kit to try to free a stuck compressor you will need a kit with a much higher uf rating"?

I just don't want to have to try another one after. He said if this doesn't work, then it's new compressor time.
    Since the compressor is probably bad anyway, I guess you can't lose much by using a higher than normal mF to break it loose. I wouldn't leave it in permanently though.

Your "tech" didn't try to break it loose????
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

My compressor locked up according to my tech and he said he could add a hard start kit and that it works 75% of the time. He already replaced the regular cap and that didn't help. I feel like he should have known if it was the cap or not before swapping it out, but what do I know. Figured he could test it with his meters for ohms or farrads. I'm ok with him trying it, but I'm curious which one to use? He said I could order it myself if I want, so he's not trying to get a markup on the part itself. I have 3 ton unit I believe.

Model number is:

American Standard/Trane - 2A7B3036A1000AA

He recommended a 5-2-1 unit found here:

http://www.amazon.com/Compressor-Sav...pr_product_top

Reading reviews I see this:

"This kit is great for any type compressor (scroll or reciprocating). Easy to install & will not harm compressor windings because of the lower capacitor rating (88-108uf). (If you need a Hard Start kit to try to free a stuck compressor you will need a kit with a much higher uf rating.)"

So since my compressor is supposedly stuck, would I want something with a higher uf rating? He said higher uf could damage it in the long run. I know nothing about this and kind of trust him, but figure pros on this site would know better than I would. Thanks for any help.
    Where did you read this review? There is a dramatic difference in the back EMF of a scroll compressor and a reciprocating compressor of the same tonnage and from manufacturer to manufacturer. If your compressor has been running fine and no outward reason for it not starting, burnt wire, blown fuse etc. it would be time for a new compressor or system. If you can post the compressor model number I can tell you what factory start kit to use for your specific compressor. There is no true "universal" start kit. It is like saying all tires, or batteries are the same. If you have two different cars it would be highly unlikely to have the same battery in each.

The review was posted in the product link above. Will the compressor number be on the compressor itself? I posted the model number of the whole condenser unit above. Does that help?

The whole system was installed in 08 and used for the first time in 09. Plus we didn't use it much each season, so I'm surprised it's having issues.

How would the tech try to break it loose? Banging it?

The review was posted in the product link above. Will the compressor number be on the compressor itself? I posted the model number of the whole condenser unit above. Does that help?

The whole system was installed in 08 and used for the first time in 09. Plus we didn't use it much each season, so I'm surprised it's having issues.

How would the tech try to break it loose? Banging it?
    looking down at the compressor there will be a model #

Some individuals do strange things when attempting to fix things.

Are you using an experienced, certified and competent tech?? I'm asking because sounds like you are "surfing" the net trying to find a way to fix this yourself or are using your 2nd cousin's buddy!! Any competent tech would already have a booster on his truck and tried to knock it loose with it. NO...I'm not talking about a hammer or a cattle prod....

That's what I'm trying to figure out. He is certified, was recommended through a friend who is friends with him. He's cheaper than anyone else, but may not be the most competent. Only been doing it for a bit over a year.

Pretty much everyone is certified anymore but is he state lincense and insured?

Yea, he works for a company. When I said certified, I meant licensed as well. Didn't realize they we're seperate. So should I find someone else who's going to charge twice the amount or just deal with this guy? If it comes down to getting a new comp I'll go through someone else. At least the part is under warranty still.

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    Are you using an experienced, certified and competent tech?? I'm asking because sounds like you are "surfing" the net trying to find a way to fix this yourself or are using your 2nd cousin's buddy!! Any competent tech would already have a booster on his truck and tried to knock it loose with it. NO...I'm not talking about a hammer or a cattle prod....
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast