Goodman GSX13 - Need Urgent Advice/Input

Hi all pros - I'm a homeowner, longtime "lurker" to the site...Very appreciative of all the GREAT advice given on the site...Very useful in the past. Quick background on situation:

A/C unit for upstairs level of home is a 13 yr old Carrier, 3-ton, 10 SEER,runs R22, and is apparently on the way out. Evap coil replaced last year by home warranty co contractor; they used an R410 coil with TxV valve to handle R-22. Having issues with compressor not kicking on with system since the coil install. Fan runs fine. New home warranty contractor says R410 coil not matched to R22 condenser, says coil box was not installed right - prior coil was "A" style installed partially offset on top of blower, new coil is "N" style coil but still offset in same way. Also say TxV valve may be malfunctioning, causing high head pressures leading to compressor non-start. When compressor does come on we are getting noticeable bubbling/boiling/hissing sound coming from inside of the walls where refrigerant line is running from outside to attic evap coil.

Home warranty co contractor recommended replacing entire A/C unit, the evap coil plus condenser/compressor, leaving Carrier furnace/blower. Warranty Co is offering to replace Carrier with GOODMAN GSX13 Running R410.

- Does this sound right? Is this good/adequate replacement? Should I try to force repair of my Carrier system as-is (staying with R22) and not replace? Any issues I should look out for with Goodman unit? Questions I should ask or things I should verify with installer on the Goodman?

I know from reading here, install is half the battle. Just trying to get some quick pro thoughts, and any guidance re what I should do or should be asking about. Thanks in advance!

-- J. in Charlotte, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Qusjone View Post
    Hi all pros - I'm a homeowner, longtime "lurker" to the site...Very appreciative of all the GREAT advice given on the site...Very useful in the past. Quick background on situation:

A/C unit for upstairs level of home is a 13 yr old Carrier, 3-ton, 10 SEER,runs R22, and is apparently on the way out. Evap coil replaced last year by home warranty co contractor; they used an R410 coil with TxV valve to handle R-22. Having issues with compressor not kicking on with system since the coil install. Fan runs fine. New home warranty contractor says R410 coil not matched to R22 condenser, says coil box was not installed right - prior coil was "A" style installed partially offset on top of blower, new coil is "N" style coil but still offset in same way. Also say TxV valve may be malfunctioning, causing high head pressures leading to compressor non-start. When compressor does come on we are getting noticeable bubbling/boiling/hissing sound coming from inside of the walls where refrigerant line is running from outside to attic evap coil.

Home warranty co contractor recommended replacing entire A/C unit, the evap coil plus condenser/compressor, leaving Carrier furnace/blower. Warranty Co is offering to replace Carrier with GOODMAN GSX13 Running R410.

- Does this sound right? Is this good/adequate replacement? Should I try to force repair of my Carrier system as-is (staying with R22) and not replace? Any issues I should look out for with Goodman unit? Questions I should ask or things I should verify with installer on the Goodman?

I know from reading here, install is half the battle. Just trying to get some quick pro thoughts, and any guidance re what I should do or should be asking about. Thanks in advance!

-- J. in Charlotte, NC
    The replacement product is not the issue. The home warranty is where you problems are at. They should not be guessing at what might be wrong. You could have a number of issues that could be causing your system to not function properly. Ask for a diagnoses and what the HW company will pay, take a buy out and find a com-patent dealer to help you. Post you location and check the dealer locator on this site, perhaps someone will be near you.

you are a long time lurker......therefore you know how the pro's feel about HW companies.....did you renew the home warranty?

Take the buyout and get a good contractor.
    It's not the Brand with the fewest repairs-It's all in the install!!! Attention to detail and using the best materials!

Thanks guys.

beshvac--
    yes, we have renewed/will keep the warranty. We still have another 13 yr old Carrier unit for downstairs that we're trying to insure against plus other systems in the house...We've invested enough to keep warranty going. (I've run the numbers) Believe it or not we've had good success with this warranty co overall, recouped quite a bit of cost in a number of repairs to the home. Buyout, are only likely offering us ~$2k, likely less...Not sure if that's reasonable? Checked quotes, even for installing GSX13 or moving to another brand, directly working with installer, would leave us with $1.5-2k out of pocket costs above buyout...Would be a stretch for us to go that much outlay in cash at this time.

second opinion--
    Warranty co isn't guessing, this is what their contractor is stating. They sent out a second contractor to confirm/get second opinion. Contractors differed on steps to remedy system. First contractor said re-do evap coil install (keeping R410 coil from last year with current R22 condenser) and replace TxV valve, see if that fixes. Second contractor said just scrap/replace whole system, get a new R410 coil and matched R410 condenser. Warranty co agreed with second contractor to replace, and is mandating contractor install of Goodman GSX13 unit. Otherwise, their offer is buyout of maybe $2k max. But again we'll still be keeping warranty, for other A/C unit/system and rest of house.

Hope that helps clarify...?

Sorry, forgot to add: Location = Charlotte, NC

So I guess we are to give advice on selecting the lesser of 2 evils

I used to live in charlotte/Fort Mill.....I wish I still lived there....so you could tell me which contractors NOT to use..... (I am just joking....don't take it the wrong way Its your money.....)

I have a highschool friend that has a wife who has been renewing every year because she thinks the furnace is going to go.....after 10 years....she could pay cash to a good company and get top of the line equipment if she didn't give it to the home warranty company...
    It's not the Brand with the fewest repairs-It's all in the install!!! Attention to detail and using the best materials!

Recip compressor on a txv will need a start kit ,also need to change the txvto the correct one also you will never get the good stuff with a home warranty