Thread: Leaks

Leaks

I called a tech three weeks ago due to ice in the system and with the unit not cooling.He tested for leaks and only found a very small leak at the valve stem, which he didn't even repair instead he recommended SuperSealer but proceeded to recharge the small unit, which was three pounds low.

I never got the SuperSealer as recommended (heard horror stories about it) but the unit worked fine until this week, exactly three weeks later.It has began freezing up again and only cools for about an hour.

Is a leak at the valve stem that difficult to repair that I should go ahead and let the tech try the SuperSealer?Or is there a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by rod121 View Post
    I called a tech three weeks ago due to ice in the system and with the unit not cooling.He tested for leaks and only found a very small leak at the valve stem, which he didn't even repair instead he recommended SuperSealer but proceeded to recharge the small unit, which was three pounds low.

I never got the SuperSealer as recommended (heard horror stories about it) but the unit worked fine until this week, exactly three weeks later.It has began freezing up again and only cools for about an hour.

Is a leak at the valve stem that difficult to repair that I should go ahead and let the tech try the SuperSealer?Or is there a better option.
    The valve port should have a removable/replicable schrader core. A simple less than 5 minute repair with the proper tool.

Valve stems are an easy fix, IF you have the tool. More than likely you have a leak somewhere else besides which is you main leak. In our nieghborhood we normally find them on the inside coil. Sometimes leaks can be hard to find but if you are loosing over 2 lb in 3 weeks it should not be that hard if they look.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    The valve port should have a removable/replicable schrader core. A simple less than 5 minute repair with the proper tool.
    Thanks for your reply.

Do you think that the valve stem is the main culprit (2.5 pounds in three weeks) or an undetected leak elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by rod121 View Post
    Thanks for your reply.

Do you think that the valve stem is the main culprit (2.5 pounds in three weeks) or an undetected leak elsewhere?
    It would be hard to say, but the schrader core is only there to access the refrigerant circuit. The cap that is on it is the seal.

Do not use the sealer. If the sealing product was all that it claims and has no side effects to the system would you not think that every manufacturer would ad it to the refrigerant circuit at the factory to alleviate all nuisance leaks and warranty calls and save millions of dollars?

If you are losing 2.5 lbs in 3 weeks. The superseal will not be effective.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Thanks everyone for your responses.The tech returned and this time found a leak in the AC Coil.Will cost over $$$$ to repair but I'm glad that he found the issue.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 07-18-2012 at 02:03 PM.