Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Chevy Volt. Another Obama Green Initiative Failure

I dont have a problem with people trying to reduce our dependeny on foreign oil. As long as a sincere effort is being made. We cant expect things to happen overnight. I'm sure many laughed at the Wright brothers at first too.

True, but the tax payers weren't funding the Wright brothers.
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    I dont have a problem with people trying to reduce our dependeny on foreign oil. As long as a sincere effort is being made. We cant expect things to happen overnight. I'm sure many laughed at the Wright brothers at first too.
    Only problem is it has nothing to do with reducing our dependancy on foreign oil.

If that were the case they would be approving more offshore drilling and drilling in Alaska.

The Chevy volt is built by. a company that owes the American tax payer 40 billion and its being subsidised by the tax payer per car

Supported by the Pierce-Arrow Co. and General Electric in 1931, Nikola Tesla took the gasoline engine from a new Pierce-Arrow and replaced it with an 80-horsepower alternating-current electric motor with no external power source.
    At a local radio shop he bought 12 vacuum tubes, some wires and assorted resistors, and assembled them in a circuit box 24 inches long, 12 inches wide and 6 inches high, with a pair of 3-inch rods sticking out. Getting into the car with the circuit box in the front seat beside him, he pushed the rods in, announced, "We now have power," and proceeded to test drive the car for a week, often at speeds of up to 90 mph.

The technology exists, but can the money changers profit from it?
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

Some of that article is clearly a little sensatinalist. "same technology as 1991". Please. The volt is a larger vehicle, has better performance modern safety features, etc. and the inverter and motor technolgoy is several generations past the EV1. "Same range as 1895"? Ya, thats an apples to apples comparison. That's like comparing the $800 tandem bicycle I have to a Harley Davidson Electraglide. They both have two wheels and transport 2 people.

I thoght GM paid back a large portion of the money loaned to them.

I'm not specifically trying to defend the Volt. I don't think a plug-in hybrid is the answer. I prefer Mazda's and Ford's strategy of getting more out of smaller powerplants and making the most of transmission technology and engine controls. Ford does offer a few hybrids to hedge themselves and remain competitive in that market, but it clearly focues on turbocharges engines and Mazda naturally aspirated.

As for more drilling... why should we burn up strategic reserves? The impact on global oil prices eve if we doubled domestic production would be relatively minimal. Why not save the oil and drill it when it's worth 2, 3 or 10 times what it is now when it's potentially represents a larger share of global production. Wait until oil becomes more scarce and those reserves give the US the ability to influence global markets like OPEC does now.

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Supported by the Pierce-Arrow Co. and General Electric in 1931, Nikola Tesla took the gasoline engine from a new Pierce-Arrow and replaced it with an 80-horsepower alternating-current electric motor with no external power source.
    At a local radio shop he bought 12 vacuum tubes, some wires and assorted resistors, and assembled them in a circuit box 24 inches long, 12 inches wide and 6 inches high, with a pair of 3-inch rods sticking out. Getting into the car with the circuit box in the front seat beside him, he pushed the rods in, announced, "We now have power," and proceeded to test drive the car for a week, often at speeds of up to 90 mph.

The technology exists, but can the money changers profit from it?
    ... and WWII submarines developed around that same period had huge battery arrays to operate submerged for hours at a time. What's your point? They were hybrid powtrains since they primarily ran on diesel engines 99% of the time unless hiding to escape detection or to attack.

A steam powered carriage or boat in the mid to late 19th centrury used renewable biofuels (wood).

Have you ever read about Tesla and his inventions?

Tesla himself said the we do not need fossil fuels, and that all the energy we need is around us all the time. He invented a way to harness that energy and use it wirelessly.
    He said that he could power every home and appliance in America with out wires going to the home....including automobiles.

He called it broadcast power.

Tesla had over 278 patents, and numerous other inventions without patent protection. All of his inventions and ideas in America were seized by the US government shortly after his death.

The only reason why aholes like Edison received attention is because they were good friends with the money changers.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by ControlsInMT View Post
    True, but the tax payers weren't funding the Wright brothers.
    Had they been, the Wright Bros. would have been in the air sooner with a better airplane.
    Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.

Chapman Cohen

been huffing again Sneerair?

Quote Originally Posted by geerair View Post
    Had they been, the Wright Bros. would have been in the air sooner with a better airplane.
    Yeah, sure Sneerair, the same way everything the Government touches is bigger, better, faster, more efficient and cheaper, right? You do realize the government slows down and screws up everything they touch? The reason there were innovations and improvements was driven not by government but capitalism and competition in a free market. We know how sophisticated the Soviet Union's iron jets are flown by automaton pilots who must get permission to do anything.

I know you toss this flame bait out just to rile people up because your life is so boring and miserable this is your only source of entertainment. Time for you to take another huff.

A $40,000 Edsel....just what we asked for. Another in a looooooong line of failures from this dupe.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    Some of that article is clearly a little sensatinalist. "same technology as 1991". Please. The volt is a larger vehicle, has better performance modern safety features, etc. and the inverter and motor technolgoy is several generations past the EV1. "Same range as 1895"? Ya, thats an apples to apples comparison. That's like comparing the $800 tandem bicycle I have to a Harley Davidson Electraglide. They both have two wheels and transport 2 people.
    Regardless of it's comparable predecessors The Chevy VOLT is part of an ongoing green agenda that's steeped in politics unfortunately. Obama and his hacks actually put the green movement back 20 years after the billions they gave away to bankrupt solar companies.

The primary issue with the volt is there was NO market for a 40k dollar hybrid....thats all it is and to sell them the Feds had to offer up a 7500 dollar credit and even with that they cant sell them. Obama and his ILK need to realize they cannot force demand by wasting tax payers money.
    http://www.mychevroletvolt.com/chevy...edit-form-8936

I thoght GM paid back a large portion of the money loaned to them.
    Negative....GM and it's lending company were given 50 billion as a part of TARP. GM owes over half of that and GMAC owes about 15 BILLION.

Remember the old guy popping up on the TV saying GM payed their loan off ? Obamaism.....

I'm not specifically trying to defend the Volt. I don't think a plug-in hybrid is the answer. I prefer Mazda's and Ford's strategy of getting more out of smaller powerplants and making the most of transmission technology and engine controls. Ford does offer a few hybrids to hedge themselves and remain competitive in that market, but it clearly focues on turbocharges engines and Mazda naturally aspirated.
    No one is pushing for the real answer to more efficient automobiles and that is HYDROGEN CELL.
    Makes you wonder....http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e.../fuel-cell.htm

As for more drilling... why should we burn up strategic reserves? The impact on global oil prices eve if we doubled domestic production would be relatively minimal. Why not save the oil and drill it when it's worth 2, 3 or 10 times what it is now when it's potentially represents a larger share of global production. Wait until oil becomes more scarce and those reserves give the US the ability to influence global markets like OPEC does now.
    Technically our strategic reserves have already been pulled out of the ground and are stored in 4 sights in and around the Gulf of Mexico. Around 700 billion barrels. If you're a resident of the Gulf just know the Rooskies have several 40 megaton devices targeted to turn it into a wasteland. Just sayin...

Drilling for oil does a lot more than just add to the world inventory. It's adds to the economy and to the Govt revenue as more people find work and pay taxes instead of living off of Obama's food stamps.

To the drill baby drill crowd as a life time resident of Texas and being somewhat familiar with the oil industry the worst thing for our economy is if they located some MASSIVE OIL RESERVE somewhere. The price of oil would drop and it would no longer be profitable to look for it. It would be a massive hit on the economy in general.

But then again the oil companies would sit on it as they should. I know that pisses some people off but it's basic supply and demand economics.

Quote Originally Posted by geerair View Post
    No the Govt would have slimed their way in and red tagged the plane for several arbitrary safety violations. ( made up on the spot)

Then they would have forced the Wright Bros to install safety harness, forced them to wear parachutes,( even though there was one guy on the ground) forced them to purchase several permits and then fined them for not obtaining said permits that didn't exist beore they built the plane.

If the Wright brothers actually paid their fines and bought the permits they would have been forced to wait 6 months due to general govt bureaucracy and wait for Government inspectors to inspect something that never existed before.

After failing inspections multiple times and paying additional fines the Wright Brothers would have had to sit through mandated safety training that wasn't free.

Before their first flight some new government agency would have commandeered the Wright flier for functional test and 0 to 30mph straight into a brick wall crash test to locate possible stress points.

After finding said stress points this new agency would have fined the Wright Brothers again and then returned their Wright Flyer to them in a million pieces a wooden crate COD.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast